Talk

Advanced search

Sore knees from running

(11 Posts)
Puffinsareblackandwhite Thu 20-Apr-17 22:24:02

Have just done C25K w2r2 and my knees hurt! I seem to get different niggles each run. This is what put me off in the past, but I have already discovered running works wonders for my mood (I have anxiety) and I want to get fitter, so I'm determined to continue. I currently weigh 14st3lb and my BMI is around 34, so I am obese. Could my weight be part of the problem? Have seen on other threads that heavier ladies are doing C25K too, so it should be possible? I wear off the shelf Karrimor running shoes, so not great but not the worst either.

MumBod Sat 22-Apr-17 10:52:37

Hi,

I've just started running, and I was experiencing knee pain. A friend of a friend is a personal trainer, and she advised me to make sure I run heel-toe. That is, make sure you put your heel down first.

I haven't had a single twinge since I started doing this. It's like a miracle.

Shoes are important too. Get the most supportive, shock-absorbing ones you can afford.

Good luck with the running. I'm starting to absolutely love it.

MumBod Sat 22-Apr-17 10:54:05

Having just googled, I might have just given you really bad advice. All I can say though, is that it's worked for me.

Maybe some more experienced folk can give you better advice blush

helenfagain Sat 22-Apr-17 11:00:00

I had similar issues. Go to a running shop and get them to analyse your gait and get fitted properly. I never buy my trainers from there (they tend to be expensive) but get fitted and recommended types and go elsewhere and buy cheaper. Since I got proper trainers that suit my running style (I over pronate) I have had very few issues.

Puffinsareblackandwhite Sat 22-Apr-17 14:32:15

Hi! Thanks for your replies. The knee pain seems to have got worse since I posted, and I haven't actually done any running since... I guess I really should get proper running shoes. I have really flat feet, for which I wear off the shelf orthotics. However, I never get knee pain from my flat feet normally. I wear the orthotics when I am running too, I just can't do without them. Will ask some colleagues for recommendations for good running shops to have my gait analysed. Just can't really afford new running shoes atm...

tinydancer88 Sat 22-Apr-17 14:33:23

The right shoes for you and plenty of stretching should help.

cordeliavorkosigan Sat 22-Apr-17 14:33:46

Yes, you really need the right shoes.

Puffinsareblackandwhite Sat 22-Apr-17 14:41:50

OK! Thanks for your advice everyone! New shoes it is! Have to admit the current ones came from Sports Direct, so probably didn't get the best possible advice... Does a gait analysis have to be done on video, or is a visual one equally good? Don't really want to travel out of town for this if it isn't strictly necessary, and the only running shop in my town doesn't do video. tiny are there any stretches you'd recommend?

paperandpaint Sat 22-Apr-17 14:48:46

Knee pain is often due to weak glutes and subsequent ITB problems. I've been to a physio for knee probs due to running and it was my glutes but presenting in my knee.

Try strengthening your core and glutes and use a foam roller after running.

Good luck! I'm currently very jealous of anybody who is running just now as I'm 3 weeks post c-section and feeling as if I'll never run again!

Puffinsareblackandwhite Sat 22-Apr-17 14:50:29

My body is a right old mess at the moment, so it could well be something else presenting in my knees smile Will try and get a gait analysis done next week, sadly no running until then sad

Migrant2 Tue 25-Apr-17 14:15:39

Have you got a branch of "sweatshop" locally? They could really help. You definitely need proper shoes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now