Talk

Advanced search

Couch potato to half marathon

(12 Posts)
Itscurtainsforyou Wed 12-Apr-17 21:14:51

I am horribly unfit. I need to get fit and get my weight down for health reasons, but it's a massive job and I'm struggling to know where to start.

Today I booked myself a place on a half marathon for about 10 months time. I figured that it should be doable with that amount of notice. Am I an idiot?

Where should I start? I've looked up a few couch to 10k plans etc, but they have you running for a minute on the first day - I reckon I couldn't make much longer than 10 seconds! Are there any slower start ones I could follow?

Thanks for any help/encouragement. I feel as if I don't do something now I never will so need to make it work...

mumsnitter Wed 12-Apr-17 22:39:13

Good for you. Go gentle and start couch to 5 first. Break this mother up into smaller bites. Once you're past 5 the 10 will come much quicker and so on. No need to break yourself, slowly does it and avoid injury. You can do this x

Itscurtainsforyou Wed 12-Apr-17 23:56:51

Thank you! I'm determined to DO something (especially having just watched a programme about weight loss surgery!).
Sounds like it might take me a bit longer than the 9 weeks to get to 5k, but that's ok smile

mumsnitter Thu 13-Apr-17 00:02:46

Just start and see where it takes you smile

HemanOrSheRa Thu 13-Apr-17 00:07:44

You'll be fine and in my limited experience you will do better with a goal. I am a lapsed runner due to family problems last year. I regret letting it slide as I am now back to square one. Try the NHS C25K first. It really is excellent at allowing you to find your pace. This is what I am going back to. That gets you running for 30 mins OR 5K in 9 weeks or so. Maybe set yourself a 5k race goal?

Itscurtainsforyou Thu 13-Apr-17 00:13:00

Thank you - I think I'll have a look at park runs or race fit life June/July time (I might be ready by then)

DontBuyANewMumCashmere Thu 13-Apr-17 00:14:47

I used to be very overweight. I couldn't run for more than about 30 seconds - it was so embarrassing.
I joined a rugby team which luckily had a few new starters and several larger ladies (god bless rugby) and I felt so welcomed and supported.
Alongside good diet I learned to run for longer and longer, after a few years I managed to have a friend take me running and she taught me to do 5ks

Once I had completed one, I knew I could do it and ever since whenever I inevitably dip out of regular exercise and want to get back in, I don't struggle too much as I know I can do it.
I also tried a 10k once which I completed without stopping but haven't done anything bigger than a 5k since.

Have you got anyone you can do it with? I found a club and regular meetings really helped me as I didn't like to let anyone down by canceling.

Well done OP. It's so hard to change things but once you do it's brilliant.
If you need a virtual running partner I'd be happy to kick you up the bum a few times a week.

voobylooby Thu 13-Apr-17 00:17:32

I second doing c25k and building up slowly. Don't overdo it as you'll end up injuring yourself! Once you. Can do 5k there are some great 10k plans online and some good charity type runs around too, which are generally really friendly. Good luck!

HemanOrSheRa Thu 13-Apr-17 00:47:47

You absolutely will be ready for a 5k by June/July. Even if you are still at the run/jog/walk stage the walking will be brisk!

aaahhhBump Thu 13-Apr-17 00:52:53

I started the gym on Friday. It's been a long time coming. One class done and can't wait for more.

Good luck to you. I've been using the Samsung health app on my phone.

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Thu 13-Apr-17 19:03:29

I started C25k and did it in 5 months (Young baby, RTW, phase of illness). Signed up for a 8.5 mile race with 4 months notice and astonished myself for running it all less than 3 months after completing C25k. Got talked into a HM 4 months later while I was too high to refuse.

So I've gone from first run to HM in 364 days, and that was with a slow start.

Use a programme for each stage to avoid over training.

DakotaFanny Thu 13-Apr-17 19:09:16

You can do it! I started running in January, using c210k app. I remember well how painful the first run was but it really is amazing how quickly you build up. I am now running 55 minutes without walking. If I can do this, you totally can!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now