Talk

Advanced search

How tricky and painful is it to go from treadmill to the big wide world?

(19 Posts)
Howlongtillbedtime Sun 09-Apr-17 22:05:37

I am doing couch to 5k (slowly) on a treadmill but have signed up to an actual proper 5k in a month's time and I am scared at how much harder it will feel .

All help tips and niceness welcome .

SafeToCross Sun 09-Apr-17 22:13:53

It is more fun, but don't expect to go quite as fast or as far as on the treadmill - maybe go out once a week now on the pavement, for a shorter run, and then build more in?

SafeToCross Sun 09-Apr-17 22:14:21

It is more fun, but don't expect to go quite as fast or as far as on the treadmill - maybe go out once a week now on the pavement, for a shorter run, and then build more in?

anotherdayanothersquabble Sun 09-Apr-17 22:16:20

Definetly run outside as much as you can before the race. (Flash backs to my first run, all training on a treadmill. I threw up at the end... not dignified!)

applespearsbears Sun 09-Apr-17 22:16:54

Hello, I'm doing the same! Am fairly long term gym goer but only ever ran about 3/4 k on a treadmill. For the last couple of weeks i've been going out once a week with a friend and slowly building up. Today we realised we'd run the 5k but were busy chatting! So if you can buddy up with someone I've found that really helpful.

DaisyChainsForever Sun 09-Apr-17 22:21:30

Make sure you have some decent trainers. I found outside running much 'harder' on the body.

Howlongtillbedtime Mon 10-Apr-17 05:38:57

Thank you . I suspected as much so I had better brave it soon if I have any hope of finishing this 5k . Hopefully without puking another grin

SkiBike007 Wed 12-Apr-17 08:38:45

I started C25k last September and hit 5k by December I used to wait till dusk to go out as I'm super curvy size16/18. So I do understand the "fear" abit from being outside but honestly just go for it. Now I go out in daylight, sometimes I just tell myself I'm going for a "walk" but then my music kicks in my headphones and I just want to run. I chose mix of quiet back residential roads & off road cycle paths and it's fine no one bats an eye lid at me grin I also repeat in my head "I'm lapping all those still sitting in the couch" Gd luck with your 5k

Howlongtillbedtime Thu 13-Apr-17 12:08:01

Thank you . I am braving the big wide world tomorrow, my dh is coming with me which could be interesting as he is a proper runner so will have to stop himself from running away .

Well done ski I love hearing about people that have managed to complete the programme and are keeping it up .

SkiBike007 Fri 14-Apr-17 20:39:43

How do your run go howlong-?

SkiBike007 Fri 14-Apr-17 20:39:55

Did!

Howlongtillbedtime Fri 14-Apr-17 20:49:35

Well I did it which I am chuffed about but bloody hell it hurt grin

I plodded in a tiny bit under 40 mins and my legs are definitely feeling it more than they do after the treadmill but I am very glad I have been out and got it over and done with.

My dh was a fab help . He does a 5k in 24 mins but still managed not to act like I was a Muppet so that was good .

BIWI Fri 14-Apr-17 20:56:16

Of course you're not a muppet! Well done. I have to say I much prefer running outside to on the treadmill - it's more interesting.

Howlongtillbedtime Fri 14-Apr-17 20:59:31

Thank you . I would like to say I enjoyed it but I am not quite there yet grin

Am going to do a parkrun next week which is scary but I really want to get better..

SkiBike007 Sat 15-Apr-17 21:20:24

Brill well done, I find it so much nicer being able to run outside - a lovely sense of freedom smile hope the parkrun goes well.

SkiBike007 Sat 15-Apr-17 21:22:08

I was a regular 40mins to start with and over 3mths it's come down to 31-33min 5k (I still have a odd 60sec walk in there) men are mostly faster my DH is like yours 20-24mins!

Howlongtillbedtime Sun 16-Apr-17 10:13:00

That gives me hope ski thank you .

My legs have just about recovered so I am hoping to get back out tomorrow .

Sickofthinkingofnewnames Sun 16-Apr-17 10:15:50

Parkrun is such a lovely supportive environment you will love it

Howlongtillbedtime Sat 22-Apr-17 10:41:08

I did my parkrun today . Printer decided not to work so couldn't take my barcode but I still went and did it and I am so pleased I did .

Ran (well jogged and plodded slowly ) the whole way without stopping .

And it was a lot more enjoyable than being on a treadmill .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now