Talk

Advanced search

Effective exercise for someone with dodgy knees

(8 Posts)
Noitsnotteatimeyet Sat 08-Apr-17 23:08:27

I have severe arthritis on my kneecaps although the rest of the joint is apparently in good condition. The consultant told me to stop running as it's too high impact - I was only doing 5k three times a week but that seemed to be keeping the flab at bay ... I've definitely put on weight since my knee started to play up

I'm not a great swimmer and I can't do breaststroke any more as my knee catches but that was the only stroke I'd managed to get the hang of the breathing. I cycle but more to get places rather than for exercise and if I do it too much my knee doesn't like it.

I can't afford to go to the gym but walk the dog once or twice a day for at least an hour at a time (he gets two walks but it's not always with me) - I average 15-16,000 steps a day.

However I'm gradually putting on more and more weight.. I'm vegetarian, barely drink alcohol, only have water or tea, no juice or fizzy drinks and eat very little cheese. I'm in my early 50s and assume I must be heading into the menopause (no symptoms so far) so I realise that losing weight is harder but there must be something I can do which will give me a workout without knackering my knees

marriednotdead Tue 11-Apr-17 23:04:23

I've got osteoarthritis in my knees and had this very conversation with my physio yesterday. I'm not a runner so that ban didn't affect me.

She suggested sedentary cycling (an exercise bike) but no standing on the pedals as in a spin class.
Swimming front crawl rather than breast stroke was advised, but failing that, holding onto the sides and using the water for gentle resistance and 'pedalling' would also be helpful. I can't do that bit because I also have a shoulder impingement...

If you really can't exercise any more, then cutting your portions down will help maintain your weight.

TheCakes Tue 11-Apr-17 23:09:13

If you could stretch to the gym, I'd say cycling (not spin just yet) and cross trainer would be good. Or classes like aqua.
Pilates would be really good for you.
I have hypermobility (EDS) and struggle with my knees at times as they over extend, but I'm having good success with weight training. I'm doing it with a PT though, which is quite expensive.
This is a bit leftfield but I have a weighted hula hoop from Argos which is quite good fun.

TriJo Thu 13-Apr-17 10:11:57

Iyengar yoga might suit you - good teachers are very helpful in terms of using adjustments and props to build a practice that works for you.

Consider some swimming lessons to get the hang of front crawl, or consider using a pull buoy to take your legs out of the equation altogether (swimming arms only).

carabos Fri 14-Apr-17 17:52:07

I have OA in my knees which has ended my running. Consultant told me to stop all activities other than swimming. Trouble with that is I hate swimming and won't do it. A lot of my social life is tied up in my gym class routine so I'm carrying on with all that - weights, HIIT etc until knees give up altogether.

Nothing keeps the fat off like running, but weights will keep muscles strong and toned. I do the little bit of running required in boot camp and circuits and don't do any jumping.

I use Voltarol gel for the pain but it's not massively effective.

lljkk Sat 15-Apr-17 09:52:07

What kind of bike do you ride? A better bike, or Switching to high cadence might be fine on your knees. I guess I'd have to research that, though.

You might still be fine to do aqua-aerobics or take lessons to learn a different swim stroke that was easier on your knees.

You could do weights to work out upperbody muscles.

sniffle12 Sat 15-Apr-17 14:33:20

If you haven't already it might be worth visiting your GP and mentioning that you're struggling to lose weight despite a healthy lifestyle. My mum was similar age and did the same and turned out she had low thyroid, they were able to prescribe pills which have helped a little with the weight gain.

CiderwithBuda Sat 15-Apr-17 14:39:44

I have dodgy knees and am quite heavy but have start d spinning classes which I love. However I don't stand up on the pedals. I explained to the instructors and they were fine. It's still a good workout.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now