Talk

Advanced search

Exercise and appetite

(21 Posts)
Irritationcity Sat 08-Apr-17 22:01:29

I've always exercised. But in the past few months I've changed what I do and I now do 2 x 3 hour long HITT/boxercise sessions a week. It's really hard/intense but good.

But I feel like I'm permanently hungry, especially as the week goes on and the sessions mount up. I'm always thinking about food. but because I'm also trying to lose weight AND I'm in the thick of menopause, so it's harder to lose - I do have to deny myself and control the calories.

My question is - is the hike in exercise causing the increase in appetite?

BIWI Sat 08-Apr-17 22:03:00

Of course it is! You're using up more energy, so you need to replace it.

If you want to lose weight you have to focus on your diet more than your exercise.

RJnomore1 Sat 08-Apr-17 22:04:27

3 hour long hiit?

Are you sure you're doing it properly? <misses point>

HowamIgoingtocope Sat 08-Apr-17 22:06:36

Hiit is supposed to be short blasts. Max 45 mins. My hiit boxer case lasts 45 mins. I'm fecked after that. Three hours just well no.

Irritationcity Sat 08-Apr-17 22:28:28

Haha! Sorry. I fucked that post up. I meant to write 2 or 3 hour long sessions. I say HITT for shorthand - about 25 minutes of repetitious circuit / exercises and then 25 minutes hardcore boxing.

I get that weight loss is about the diet but it just feels even harder to be controlled since I hiked things up

RJnomore1 Sat 08-Apr-17 22:32:31

Ahhh! That's missing more sense. I was feeling quite faint.

The problem with cardio including hiit is it can increase your appetite more than the calorie expenditure. It's a well knowm effect. Lift big weights - it builds muscle, speeds your metabolism and keeps burning calories long after you finish training.

Hiit and boxing are both fab for conditioning and cardio fitness though.

HowamIgoingtocope Sun 09-Apr-17 01:36:35

I second the weights. Since I started weights I'm not losing weight but my shape is changing. Get a Pt. I can't stress that more. My pt is female ( also moment of my best freinds ) she pushes me and trains with me. My legs are squaring off and I have a bum that is amazing. I can jump on a big box. Sounds nothing but not.many in the gym can do it. Eat clean. That helps.immensely. I'm working on the belly fat that's what I'm struggling with.

HowamIgoingtocope Sun 09-Apr-17 01:37:29

You need to mix it up. If you are consistently doing the same thing. Your body gets used to it. Change tactic. Hit the weights. It won't make you big promise

Irritationcity Sun 09-Apr-17 08:28:19

As part of the workout, we do a lot of weighted exercises and the trainer mixes it up every time, so no work out is the same as the one before - it's outside, in the park, there's only about 6 of us max, all women, in their forties.

Before I joined last May, I was seeing a PT, and had done for about 4 years. But because of the cost, could only afford 2 x half hour sessions each week. It wasn't enough and I think in the end, he didn't push me enough. This feels far more physically demanding.

I can't afford a PT on top, but maybe I need to do a weights class, or see if I can find a way of joining a gym cheap.

I do think hormones make it much harder. I've always worked out, and I've always been slim. But my body has reverted back to its plumper teenage state, now I'm in menopause. It's so fucking hard since my periods stopped! And I'm only 46. I never had a problem with appetite in my thirties - I worked out five days a week, pretty much the same exercise, and kept everything easily under control.

I am a loss as to what to do. I'm only about 9lb over my really ideal weight, but it's all gone to my ass and thighs. Tiny waist, fairly flat stomach.

Peppapogstillonaloop Sun 09-Apr-17 08:32:52

You shouldn't be at a loss now as everyone has just told you what to do..weights!! Mucg better for conditioning etc. You will massively increase appetite doing all that hiit but not burn as much as you would doing weights without the corresponding appetite increase.
Also cut out sugar.

Irritationcity Sun 09-Apr-17 08:58:03

Yes, I'll look at doing weights.

But I also need to get the food cravings under control, I guess.

I go 3/4 days being really good, then wham. Not so good.

Irritationcity Sun 09-Apr-17 08:58:34

Does anyone do weights at home? Is this something I can consider?

BIWI Sun 09-Apr-17 08:59:04

What is your diet like? Are you eating lots of carbs? It's a myth that you need carbs to work out, by the way!

Ginorchoc Sun 09-Apr-17 09:10:04

Eating protein helps fill you up, if I'm really hungry I snack on a celery stick confused with peanut butter as that helps.

Ihopethissongstartsacraze Sun 09-Apr-17 09:21:54

You have a tiny waist with a bum? Is it possible you look great and need to accept your weight?

Agree exercise makes you hungry. I find wholegrain carbs help. Have a look at Richie Howey on Facebook.

Irritationcity Sun 09-Apr-17 10:27:16

I'm sure acceptance is part of it. But I hate feeling like I've put on weight. Are any of you in menopause? It totally alters the landscape.

I eat really clean - until I lose it and don't. I think I'm nutrionally sound.

BIWI Sun 09-Apr-17 11:50:30

I'm through and out the other side, Irritationcity.

Irritationcity Sun 09-Apr-17 15:10:37

Hi BIWI, did you find it messed with your weight and relationship with food for a while?

BIWI Sun 09-Apr-17 15:32:25

Not really - although it's hard to say. I started low carbing pretty seriously around the time I was definitely going through it - I can't say that it's been any harder to lose weight than pre menopause.

Sorry - that's probably not what you wanted to hear grin

Irritationcity Sun 09-Apr-17 15:45:45

No, not really smile

I have ridiculous cravings now that I never used to have and I give into them. Self control has gone. Then starts the cycle of remorse. All against an ongoing exercise regime. I need to rewire

BIWI Sun 09-Apr-17 15:50:11

Now if you'd asked me about white wine ... grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now