Talk

Advanced search

Pushchairs for running.

(11 Posts)
plimsolls Wed 05-Apr-17 11:20:25

I used to love running for a bit of exercise and mental peace. Nothing too amazing, I just used to do the C25k programme. Slowly!

I have a 7 month old baby and don't get a lot of time "off" for various reasons, many of which I'm working on.

Anyway, I've got it in to my head that I would love to go running with the baby. I live in a city so i would most likely just be running round a city park.

I'm assuming I can't run with our regular pushchair as it's not brilliant suspension wise and the brakes are foot operated. I'd look like a wally running round our small flat park with those amazing looking all terrain pushchairs. I was going to look out for a second hand one or a cheap low-end new one.

TLDR: I was wondering if anyone had an recommendations for a pushchair I can run with, mostly on flat even surfaces and probably not very fast.

Thank you.

0utForAWalkBitch Wed 05-Apr-17 18:52:45

I run in a city park with my bugaboo bee and it's fine. Very easy to steer and pretty light. I'd have no chance on the foresty bits of track as the bee is very much a city buggy but it does the job. I'd say a Phil and teds might be a good choice too, mine was difficult to steer with two children in, ok with one. Bit heavy mind.

GrumpySausage Wed 05-Apr-17 18:58:06

I have a Burley solstice which is advertised as a jogging buggy. It is very lightweight and manoeuvrable.

I'll be honest, I've never jogged with it except running for a bus but I imagine from using it that'd it be very good for it. It feels very well balanced and secure but everyone who pushes remarks how light it is.

Also it comes with so many handy accessories, little bag, cup holders and tons of storage space.

Bubbinsmakesthree Wed 05-Apr-17 18:59:01

If you want something g dedicated try BOB or Out n About for a buggy that is effortless to push when running. Or you could look at one that double as a bike trailer if that's likely to be useful for you - we have a Cougar Chariot which is amazing.

stuckinny Wed 05-Apr-17 19:04:26

I had a bob and loved it. It's fairly bulky but still fit in the boot of the car once I'd taken the wheels off.

3boysNeedABiggerKitchen Thu 06-Apr-17 06:58:55

You should not run with your baby until they are at least 9 months old. I waited until a year, they should be able to sit unsupported no problems. Have a google for more info.
Out n about nipper sport is a dream to run with, you can pick them up on eBay and gumtree at the £100-150 mark. Also babyjogger make running buggies which often come up second hand, the model is 'performance'. BOB buggies are good, expensive and hold their value well.
Good luck OP.

TriJo Wed 12-Apr-17 15:11:46

I have a BOB Ironman, got it for £100 secondhand. I've been running with my son in it since he was around 6 months old, no issues and we've done 16 Parkruns together since then.

Out n About Nipper is a bit more compact and probably a bit more city friendly though.

gincamelbak Thu 13-Apr-17 21:08:26

Babies should be 6 months old before you go running with them according to everything I read.

I have a 2nd hand baby trend expedition. 3 wheeler with 16 inch back wheels 12 inch front. It pushes like a dream and is so easy to run with.

£100 from eBay. Bought it nearly 2 yrs ago and it's still going strong.

gincamelbak Thu 13-Apr-17 21:09:53

You need to be able to lock the front wheel/s as otherwise it can wobble and tip pram over.

I speak from online research and possibly from experience but DS is totally fine now and barely noticed anything happening

eyeoresancerre Thu 13-Apr-17 21:11:34

I second the out and about 360 nipper. Not that I did much running but really steady all terrain pushchair.

plimsolls Fri 14-Apr-17 12:11:28

Thanks for all these recommendations. Really helpful. I'll get looking now.

I'd read 6 months too (but saw one or two exceptions saying 9 months). To be honest, it's a moot point because by the time I get my arse in gear she'll probably be at school over 9 months anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now