Talk

Advanced search

what is the right amount of time spent exercising?

(10 Posts)
happyfrown Wed 29-Mar-17 10:11:08

I used to spend 2hrs at the gym 3 days a week, on Wednesdays I had a PT sessions. the trainer said I was spending too long and that 30-45mins was enough.

so I was wondering if I was over doing it? how long do others work out for and what results do you get. ive been going gym on and off for 12yrs, pilates, aerobics dvds / classes, walking and still yet to tone and tighten my lower body? ive always felt ive not done enough.

SheSparkles Wed 29-Mar-17 10:13:30

It depends what you're doing when you're there I guess. I probably average 1-2 hours daily over the week, doing a mix of classes and gym work.

Abraiid2 Wed 29-Mar-17 10:15:20

I would be bored stiff if I spent that long in the gym.

Three one-hour classes a week and as much walking outdoors as possible for me.

namechange20050 Wed 29-Mar-17 10:16:05

Are you at your optimum weight? I only ever get that toned look when I've been dieting in conjunction with exercise. Working out won't do it alone. Presumably though the advice your PT gave you is good? They know you better than mumsnetters!

happyfrown Wed 29-Mar-17 10:33:06

I start on tread mill running 40mins on day, interval sprinting another and then fast walking on 3rd day. after tread mill I do floor work -squats, lunges, abs etc. then move on to the weight machines. that was my usual gym session. I don't go gym any more should add.

I have a treadmill at home and been running, fast walking few days a week then doing pilates and floor work at home. im going to buy some kettle bells for more free weights but I don't want to over do it and spend longer than needed. which is why im asking smile

lljkk Wed 29-Mar-17 20:07:50

I've been wondering this...
I was reading today that amateur triathletes training for Olympic distance do about 12 hrs/wk ideally (more like 6-8 hrs/week typically is practical), but pro triathletes & some other pro-sports aim for 25-30 hrs/wk. Pro runners right back down below 15 hrs/wk.

Most of us don't have time. If all you have is 8 hrs/wk then you really make the hrs hard / make them count. I suspect your trainer is right, quality over quantity. But depends on your weaknesses... I have history of injuries, so low aerobic base is a good idea for me most the time.

happyfrown Wed 29-Mar-17 20:42:02

I could do more time but I loose heart and stressing out over what im suppose to be doing, wondering if im wasting my time. especially when after so long im not toning. im clearly doing something wrong hmm

yes I guess the trainer knows and when with him It did feel like id died exercised, where as the 2hr gym session didn't feel half as bad.

MaidOfStars Thu 30-Mar-17 12:06:39

Lose body fat (if you need/want to). Lift heavy weights. Run a bit.

MaidOfStars Thu 30-Mar-17 12:07:47

Each week, I do:
2 hours of heavy free weights.
2 hours of a sprinty/jumpy team sport.
40km (ish) or running.

happyfrown Fri 31-Mar-17 11:57:14

i need to invest in some weights. maybe 30mins with weight is enough each day? with cardio on other days?

i cant remember exactly what i was told but along the lines of your muscles stop reacting (or something like that) after 30mins, so any thing more than that is a waste of time and you can loose muscle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now