Talk

Advanced search

Rest or more exercise to get over stiffness/pain from intensive workout?

(9 Posts)
Lemontwist Tue 28-Mar-17 22:09:13

I've been a member of a gym for a while now though struggling with motivation and slacking off a fair bit. Although I can manage a run on the treadmill or cross trainer and use a few of the weights machines I wasn't really pushing myself very hard or including much variation in my workouts.
I decided to try a group class instead, which I did on the Monday morning for the first time. It was a tabata class which I loved but I really pushed myself and did far more than usual and certainly used a few muscles I didn't even realise I had grin. The problem is I am now so stiff that even getting up and down from the sofa or walking up the stairs is painful. This started within hours of the class. Now I totally understand the idea of "no pain no gain" but I just want to know if I've pushed myself too hard or if it settle down fairly soon.
Also, what's the best way to tackle things now? I'm tempted to try another class in the morning but don't want to make it worse. Am I best to try another class, a gentler session in the gym or just rest up?
I need my flexibity to improve a little by Friday night as I have an important event in my other hobby (another sport) and if I'm feeling like this I'll be next to useless.
Advice anyone??

ClaudiaWankleman Tue 28-Mar-17 22:20:28

First things first - you need to stretch. If you are feeling that bad I assume it is due to inadequate cool down at the end of a class (often rushed by instructors!)

I suggest this routine to be useful.

Maybe take a day or two off, stretch when you get up and before bed, and then get back to the gym or a class on Thursday. I find cold showers, while awful, to be good for avoiding muscle pain. Take 10 or 15 minutes after your workout to really stretch, then try and do a little more before bed and when you wake up again. You should be fine for Friday.

If you don't exercise all week you will probably feel worse on Friday than if you do!

EnglebertSlaptyback Tue 28-Mar-17 22:30:36

Gentle exercise helps for me. It tends to lessen the DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) for the time I'm doing it, but it returns!
If I'm not used to exercise, no amount of stretching afterwards helps this pain, but in a weird way, i kind of enjoy it and it also helps me control my food intake as I'm constantly reminded of how hard I worked!
The last paper I read about DOMS theorised that it was almost an immune response triggered on the muscles because they haven't worked that hard in a while. Eventually the muscle soreness stops altogether unless you change your routine significantly​ or rest for a week+.
When starting out it can last 4 days, but will become less and less depending on your ability to recover from exercise.
I love group work! Find it pushes much harder than other forms of exercise. Well done!

Lemontwist Tue 28-Mar-17 22:33:42

Thank you, that's really helpful.
I feel like I've aged about 30 years today. Been on my feet all day at work but adding an 'ooph' sound every time I stand up or sit down!
I'll try the stretches in the morning, that looks a really useful routine.
Do you think another similar class (with more stretching) would be too much on Thurs and I should maybe try a fairly steady workout instead?

Lemontwist Tue 28-Mar-17 22:38:35

Thanks Englebert. I've been looking up DOMs online but I'm not finding too much on how to deal with it.
I'm pleased I worked so hard and I definitely want to keep going to classes.

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Wed 29-Mar-17 12:34:25

Gentle exercise can help recovery as it increases blood flow to the muscles, but don't over do it as recovery is important for building muscle strength.

For example on a running programme, a hard long or intense run would be followed the next day by a short run at an undemanding pace.

Reow Wed 29-Mar-17 12:36:12

Yoga and salt baths

lljkk Wed 29-Mar-17 20:08:48

if you can't get a post-exercise massage, then a long hot bath is supposed to be good to help prevent some soreness.

SkiBike007 Fri 07-Apr-17 20:45:07

Try a foam roller- I was given one by a friend and thought it's just a gimmick but I do suffer from stiffness a lot post exercise and I've very supple from stretching. I've found using the foam roller to self massage has really reduced the stiffness n soreness the next day. If you have tight glutes and bum muscles google piriformus stretch it changed my life reducing pain in my lower back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now