Talk

Advanced search

DH *can* out-train a bad diet. Could I?!

(13 Posts)
SadHairDay Mon 27-Mar-17 22:12:44

I see the mantra "you can't out-train a bad diet" on here so often. And yet, DH can!! He never changes his diet and can easily polish off a packet of biscuits in one sitting, yet when he's going to the gym 4x a week, he becomes trim and the belly goes!

AIBU to think I could do it too?

RunRabbitRunRabbit Mon 27-Mar-17 22:15:31

How many packets of biscuits a day does he polish off?

I can eat biscuits without gaining weight if I'm training. How many biscuits, how often, is the question.

What level of crap do you want to eat? Try 5:2 maybe?

ArriettyClock1 Mon 27-Mar-17 22:15:56

If I train 5 times a week, I can eat and drink whatever I like.

ArriettyClock1 Mon 27-Mar-17 22:16:34

...however, I would never eat a packet of biscuits!

IGotTheMustardOut Mon 27-Mar-17 22:17:59

I think it depends on your metabolism. I can easily eat whole packs of biscuits and don't gain weight, nor do I train. I imagine I am very unhealthy thought despite being trim

StripeyMonkey1 Mon 27-Mar-17 22:18:21

Up to a point, yes.

If you are training hard 5 times a week then the odd pack of biscuits will be fine. You will still want to eat good quality protein and plenty of veggies.

thenightsky Mon 27-Mar-17 22:20:20

It must depend on the person.

I recall that when I was doing marathon training I still could not eat what I wanted without putting on weight angry

NotJanine Mon 27-Mar-17 22:22:56

Just because he's slim doesn't mean he's not doing himself any damage.

SadHairDay Tue 28-Mar-17 06:55:04

He has a very sweet tooth @RunRabbitRunRabbit! Last night he polished off a packet of Fingers! I would never go that far but I can't say no to sweet stuff unfortunately and have it every day.

Dafspunk Tue 28-Mar-17 07:00:21

I think you need to stop comparing what your husband is able to eat with what you can eat. He's a bloke, presumably taller and stronger than you - you're never going to be able to match his diet. Just focus on you and getting your own training and diet working for you.

Veterinari Tue 28-Mar-17 07:09:53

You can't out train a bad diet in the sense that exercise cannot compensate for poor nutrition

However if his diet is generally good with a proportion of 'empty calories' from sweets, then these can be burnt off through exercise (to a point)

Scribblegirl Tue 28-Mar-17 07:15:59

My DP can counter an excessiveDiet I guess? He's bigger and taller than me. If he eats a naughty 500 calorie snack, or has a couple of beers, he can burn that 500 cals off in 30 mins exercise because he burns more calories than me. Whereas if I had a 500 calorie cheat, it would take me an hour of the same exercise to burn that off.

It's really frustrating, he thinks I focus too much on diet and should just up my exercise to compensate, and I keep trying to explain that it doesn't work like that for me!!

palebluesky Tue 28-Mar-17 07:19:41

If I exercise daily I can eat what I want. But it only helps me to maintain weight, not lose it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now