Talk

Advanced search

Fitness routine has not really changed, nor my eating but I've put on weight

(10 Posts)
Wtfdoicare Sun 26-Mar-17 20:52:46

Just a bit miffed and perplexed really! I am a runner and run every other day approximately. When I started a year and a half ago I lost some excess weight and have more or less stabilised since then. I have very recently put on about 1.5 kg, which I know is nothing really, but I can feel it around my waist, and I am finding it harder to run as a result. The only thing that seems to have changed in my exercise routine is the addition of a 1h walk every other day (to my usual running). So more exercise than I was doing! I don't monitor my eating but generally eat well, and not too much sugar.

MeNeedSleep Sun 26-Mar-17 21:44:17

Are you me?!

I've been thinking this over the last 3 weeks.
For some reason I have rounded in the stomach area. But my routine or eating habits haven't changed.
I also weigh about a kg heavier.
I know that muscle weighs more than fat, but it doesn't explain the extra bit I can actually see around my waist/hips!

Wtfdoicare Mon 27-Mar-17 09:27:28

Haha MeNeedSleep, seems very similar! Mine is definitely not muscle, extra love handles have appeared! I am going to take a closer look at my diet (which is annoying because I have never needed to before) and be a bit more conscious of what I am eating. It is possible that the extra walking has made me hungrier?

MaidOfStars Mon 27-Mar-17 13:27:39

1.5kg? That's normal variation for me grin

The extra walking will make you a bit hungrier and you may have overcompensated slightly. Also, maybe you've changed shape a little, rather than got fatter - your arse lifting can make it seem like your hips are bigger.

Semaphorically Mon 27-Mar-17 13:29:30

Are you getting enough sleep? Or experiencing a lot of stress? Or frequently dehydrated? All three can make you gain weight.

MeNeedSleep Mon 27-Mar-17 13:53:45

How old are you? I'm 33 and up until last year I've never had to watch what I eat. To a certain extent I still don't but have watch the amount I eat. My dh is 42 and always said to me that my metabolism will catch up with me, I fear he's right!

Wtfdoicare Mon 27-Mar-17 14:09:57

I'm 41. I'm fairly petite so 1.5 kg is noticeable weight gain not really variation. As far as I know, I'm getting enough sleep and not unreasonably stressed. Possibly a little dehydrated so I'll watch that. It has definitely deposited as fat as I can see it sadly!

Wtfdoicare Mon 27-Mar-17 14:11:17

I think I'll look at changing my exercise routine a little too as my body appears to have got used to what I am doing.

MaidOfStars Mon 27-Mar-17 14:17:12

Oh, 1.5kg is 3% of my bodyweight, but still normal variation across the days and month (am 40) grin

Wtfdoicare Mon 27-Mar-17 14:21:47

It's 2.7% of my body weight as well Maid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now