Talk

Advanced search

Is Pilates worth persevering with?

(9 Posts)
LiquoriceWheel Sat 25-Mar-17 02:05:47

Can someone please share their experience of Pilates training with me over the long term?

I had a one on one consultation for Pilates a few days ago and I'm really unsure if I should go again.

The last fitness thing I did was crossfit which is the polar opposite of Pilates - very fast paced and intense. I'm struggling with my energy levels so I've quit crossfit even though the results were fast albeit painful.

In my Pilates consultation I found out that my core is quite strong and my trainer was surprised we had got through so many different 'moves' in our session. She also said I did really well but maybe that was just flattery? It also felt I wasn't doing much at all! Is it normal to have trouble with the breathing aspect because I was lightheaded at the end of the hour with trying to coordinate my breathing and movements?

My dilemma is that I definitely need another one on one session but it is quite expensive. I thought a lovely exercise activity would be a nice treat instead of makeup or clothes but is Pilates worth it? Help, should I persevere with this, I don't know anyone in real life that does Pilates and they'd probably laugh at me if I told them. Thanks in advance.

KingIrving Sat 25-Mar-17 05:55:05

I have done years of amateur boxing, loved the training, conditioning and sparring, so I am used to very intense workout and sweating buckets.
I do some pilates to adjust posture, work on pelvic floor and open chest and shoulders which tend to close with boxing.
I have very strong and visible abs, yet the abs you do with pilates are the deep ones.
As much as I appreciate what Pilates gives me, it has never been love at first sight. Now I have moved to barre and ballet floor which I really love.
My legs are killing me, but in a nice way.

Before having a second go at pilates, why not try an adult barre or ballet workout class. There is a big variety of sizes, shapes, ages.

AutumnEve Sat 25-Mar-17 06:39:24

I love pilates - have been going to a small class for 4 years. I feel much stronger now.
As you build on your technique the exercises get more challenging/beneficial.
Perhaps go to a class rather than PT- much cheaper.

INeedNewShoes Sat 25-Mar-17 06:49:18

Pilates tends to work on the smaller muscles that are neglected with other forms of exercise.

I used to think similar to you OP that 'if I'm going to exercise for an hour it may as well be proper exercise that makes me sweat and raises my heart rate' but after four years of Pilates I really do think it's worthwhile. I feel stronger and as though I move better and that Pilates is very worthwhile indeed and is most likely a good investment in my future as I get older and bones get weaker etc. to know I'm improving the supporting little muscle groups is reassuring.

BikeRunSki Sat 25-Mar-17 07:04:54

I loved Pilates, did it eeekky when I was pg because anything cardio made me sick. However, with 2 DC, a full time job and an expanding waistline I prefer to run, swim or cycle edge I do get a window of fee time. Pilates is definitely top priority for if I had more time and money.

LiquoriceWheel Tue 28-Mar-17 00:08:26

Thanks for your replies everyone. I'll try another class in that case. Thanks for telling me about barre classes, I had no idea that was a thing. One thing I like about Pilates is that you can wear SOCKS. I'm a weirdo smilewine

happyfrown Wed 29-Mar-17 22:18:28

I bought Windsor pilates DVD about 10yrs ago maybe more and I swear by it. it works with the resistance of keeping a pilates ring taught all the time. i think it is great and it hurts so I know it works haha. there's many videos on youtube to follow, in some of the routines you need a pilates ring which is only cheap on ebay or possibly sports shops.

pilates is beneficial, it might not seem like it as it doesn't exhaust you like cardio etc but it does keep you firm, toned and strong. keep going you will see the difference over time.

singymummy Wed 29-Mar-17 22:21:12

The best shape/fitness of my life was when I was doing Pilates DVDs like they were m&ms.

The breathing and fluid movements & what not just take practice to get used to.

Highly recommend Pilates x

AutumnEve Wed 29-Mar-17 22:34:08

Which dvds did you do? I find sometimes fitness dvds aren't that great and don't talk about technique so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now