Talk

Advanced search

Free weights

(6 Posts)
UpOnDown Fri 24-Mar-17 16:54:57

Hi,

I've decided I want to do some free weights to increase my arm strength. What weight weights do I need to start with please? I currently do very little exercise (I'm disabled), but I'd like to build up to a good work out - are the sets of weights available in e.g. argos any good?

UpOnDown Fri 24-Mar-17 17:10:38

I'm wondering whether to go with something like this?

UpOnDown Fri 24-Mar-17 17:12:43

Or some 0.5kg and 2kg and 5kg separate ones

MrsBosh Fri 24-Mar-17 17:22:09

Hi, Up! Well done for taking the plunge into exercise. Spring is such a good time to start. Like you, I started some at home arm exercises last year. I bought a pair of 2kg dumbells from Sports Direct (online). They are fine. I then used Pinterest and Google to get some exercise ideas which worked all arm muscles.
Since joining the gym I have worked up to using 4kg as my arms have gained more strength. You may be able to start heavier (my arms are pretty puny blush) but work up slowly. I read that the right weight should make you struggle with the final few reps (but be doable).
My gym arm routine is:
Dumbell 4kg front raises 2x12
Dumbell 4kg bicep curls 2x12
Machine tricep things 2x12
Machine chest press 2x12
Obviously I'm no PT, but hope that's of some help.
Good luck!

UpOnDown Sat 25-Mar-17 12:02:47

Thanks!

AdventureDan Tue 28-Mar-17 12:45:32

Hi Up!
I've used this company before, they only supply professional equipment so you know it will be good quality. www.physicalcompany.co.uk/strength-equipment-tcid27.html Might be worth seeing how they compare?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now