Talk

Advanced search

Learning to run again without couch to 5k/smartphone app

(9 Posts)
thegoatwhogotthequiche Tue 21-Mar-17 14:01:02

Pre-DC's I used run a lot and loved it, I have never really managed to get back into the swing of things though even though I have all the kit.

I have friends who have done couch to 5k very successfully but my phone is pretty rubbish and I can't really update it atm. I have a teach yourself running book but it tells you on day 1 to 'just run out for 5 minuets and then back home for 5 minuets'...I think that I possibly need a slightly kinder approach...

We do have running clubs but I couldn't commit to anything weekly due to DH's working hours. I was planning on using a mix of running before breakfast and going out during the day with a running buggy.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated...

Zippyzulu Tue 21-Mar-17 14:05:58

You can find the c25k details online- could you print/ copy them out and use a stopwatch? It's fairly easy to follow- I've just done C25K using an app and moving on to 10K but without using an app so I think it's possible!

feetheart Tue 21-Mar-17 14:13:35

I did Couch to 5k without an app, about 8 years ago and I'm still running! I printed it off, worked out what I needed to do each session and took a small clock with me (I didn't have a useful watch at the time!)
In the end I got a cheap watch with BIG numbers on it from a market stall. I spent most of the time working out when the next walking break would come which took my mind off the running.
Even if I had had the technology I think the app would have annoyed me.
Get started then get yourself and your buggy to parkrun - the best motivation ever smile

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Tue 21-Mar-17 22:36:50

I used the podcasts by the NHS on my MP3 player.

Given that I've only been running 3.5 years, it seems weird to think that I didn't have a smart phone when I started! Had BlackBerry styles so could internet, but not download apps)

thegoatwhogotthequiche Thu 23-Mar-17 10:51:46

I'm going to use a stopwatch, thanks for your comments. I've just realised that the app would also not be much good with a running buggy as you need to be able to hear what your LO is saying!

CharlieAustinsMagicHat Thu 23-Mar-17 11:02:09

I've always found the Action Aid plans to be very helpful, starts from an absolute base and soon has you up and running.

www.actionaid.org.uk/sites/default/files/publications/5k_schedule.pdf

feetheart Thu 23-Mar-17 11:24:09

thegoatwhogotthequiche - the issue is really trying to hear what the app is saying over the shouts of "Faster Mummy" or "Run Mummy run" when you are on a walking break and just trying to breath grin
Enjoy and go to parkrun

QuestaVecchiaCasa Thu 23-Mar-17 13:22:51

When I started running about 3 years ago (at 48) I didn't know that such a thing as C25K existed. I just started running up my road and when I could do that I added another street and ran round the block and then another block etc. I didn't realise that you were supposed to have walking breaks. Seemed to work for me because the first time I ever ran 5K (which I did at parkrun) I did it in just over 30 minutes. I did combine with quite a bit of cycling though.

BikeRunSki Thu 23-Mar-17 14:53:05

Runners World have run plans online
I started with one of these, and a Digi watch that bleeped at preset intervals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now