Talk

Advanced search

Not brace enough to move on to 10K...

(25 Posts)
Zippyzulu Mon 20-Mar-17 11:35:47

I've finished C25K and been doing 5k 3-4 times a week for a few weeks, including weekly parkrun. I can do it in 29 mins now and hoping to knock some more time off.

I was feeling really motivated and signed up to a 10K in July but still am not brave enough to start running further... I think I'm worried about injury / overdoing it and it will also take up so much more time in training.

I thought I could stick to 5k and work on speed 2-3 times a week and do one longer run per week so I had a half hearted attempt yesterday and ran 6k but it took me ages.

Any tips or words of wisdom/ easy training plans would be very welcome!

CharlieAustinsMagicHat Mon 20-Mar-17 13:25:58

It's probably going to be easier than you think.

If you're doing three runs a week just extend one of them by half a kilometer every week and you'll soon be running 10k.

As you long as you pace yourself correctly and don't go crazy you won't get injured.

Keepkondoing Mon 20-Mar-17 13:48:32

I second CharlieAustin, it will be easier than you think.

Keep to 3 runs per week, and make one of them your long run, either do that by adding a small amount each week or add a larger amount but also add in a walk or two of 30 - 60 seconds towards the end. Don't focus on speed or time for the long run (at least initially) but make one of the others your speed run either by running faster for the whole 5k or running a shorter distance but adding in interval sprints.

I did a 10k last year after previously struggling to run 5k. You shouldn't get injured if you stretch after your runs and don't overdo it too quickly.

Zippyzulu Mon 20-Mar-17 14:34:17

Thanks. My 6k yesterday was pretty slow (deliberately) so I will stick another one of them in this week then increase again next week.
I think it's psychologically daunting as I know if I focus I can do it sad I have a niggling ankle/ calf at the moment so hoping to get that sorted and maybe I will be brave!

Keepkondoing Mon 20-Mar-17 14:46:53

I think it is mentally daunting, I've run on and off for years but only in the past two years have I got back into it properly. There are times when running 3/4/5k have been tough and I've thought that I would never be able to run further and that has put me off training for anything long distance like a 10k. But in the end I just went for it. I think not focusing on the final distance is key (well for me anyway), just focus week by week run by run and increase gradually. I don't run far or fast now, but I do see a 5k as my short easy run and often run 8-9k as my long run and don't find it too challenging. Which for me is a massive achievement!

I'd set a training plan and stick to it though - you can get them online or just make one up for yourself. But for me that is what helps. So I knew Monday was 6.5k, Weds 5k easy, Friday 5k with intervals. Helped me focus and motivate myself when I really didn't want to!

MaidOfStars Mon 20-Mar-17 16:38:50

I'm going to tell you what I would need to hear for myself grin

Stop whinging and just do it

gringrin

If you can run 5 km three times a week under 30 mins, you'll be able to do 10 km today, albeit slowly/run-walk. It's tough to let go of the speed in favour of distance, but if you drop to 6:20/6:40 min kms, you'll be fine. Then you can work on speed.

I have tried to up my distance without dropping my pace. It's pointless - you struggle, then get demotivated. Practice running slowly.

brassbrass Mon 20-Mar-17 16:53:24

you all sound as if you know what you're talking about, can I ask a question please?

I only manage a 5K run once a week and my time is around 33-34 mins.

Do I need to be going more times a week if I want to improve my time?

pinkhorse Mon 20-Mar-17 17:00:43

You really need more than one run a week if you want to get faster. You need to do hill work and interval training (shorter harder efforts followed by recovery periods). Ideally you need to do 3-4 runs a week.
Do you do any other exercise?

standingonlego Mon 20-Mar-17 17:34:39

Getting from 5-10k is definately easier than couch to 5k. I second maidofstars approach smile

Add in one longer run a week, and try not to overthink it. You have a perfect grounding already, just need to stretch things a little for the distance.

standingonlego Mon 20-Mar-17 17:35:51

brassbrass is your 5k parkrun by any chance?

MaidOfStars Mon 20-Mar-17 18:21:14

How to run faster:
1. Incorporate sprints ('interval training').
2. Do hilly runs.
3. Do squats.
4. Drink coffee.

brassbrass Mon 20-Mar-17 18:39:11

no they're not park runs they're on the treadmill in the gym I'm afraid.

I do other stuff while I'm there: 5k on the rowing machine, 20min on the elliptical and sometimes the stair machine if it's free. So it's a pretty good session.

I just find it so difficult to get the time in elsewhere in the week.

Plus I'm fairly new to exercise. I was a slob before although never overweight so I look fit/healthy enough if that makes sense. BUT I wasn't fit at all. I'm also no spring chicken at 46.

I do feel better for the time I've put in so far in the last few months.

MaidOfStars Mon 20-Mar-17 18:54:50

Get the gradient going on the treadmill!

MaidOfStars Mon 20-Mar-17 18:55:04

And find the interval programs.

Waitingonasmile Mon 20-Mar-17 19:09:59

I am exactly the same position! Can do 5k in 29 mins but feel like 10 will never happen. Managed 7k two weeks ago but gave up after 6k this week confused.

lljkk Mon 20-Mar-17 19:18:33

I suspect these things are individual.
I did 5k the first time I went running so that was easy... doing 10k has been extremely challenging by comparison. I've only done 10k twice, and both were accidents. I'm not one of these people who suddenly finds great legs on the day, being in a crowd is more discouraging than inspiring.
They say that rest days are as important as active days.

Zippyzulu Mon 20-Mar-17 19:23:32

Thanks everyone smile

I found the 6k last night reasonably ok (it took me 38 mins tho!) so my plan is to do one long run per week then a speedy 5k and a hilly 5k. I just needed to sort my head out and start it. However I had a phone consultation with a physio today and they've recommended I don't run for 5 days due to ankle issues so that is a real disappointment! Can't imagine missing all my runs this week!!

brassbrass Mon 20-Mar-17 19:44:15

thanks for the info - was worried someone was going to mention the gradient grin but I understand I have to make it harder

standingonlego Mon 20-Mar-17 20:44:24

Honestly...once your ankle is better, get off the treadmill and run outside. that is the problem smile I can run a HM but cannot do 20 mins on treadmill - Lighter nights are coming and there are more distractions, also better for mental and emotional health. Will get off soapbox now. Hang on...do parkrun grin

standingonlego Mon 20-Mar-17 20:46:17

Sorry got OP and brass mixed up there blush

Zippyzulu Mon 20-Mar-17 20:48:17

There seems to be two different running experiences on here... I'm the one with the dodgy ankle but don't use the treadmill as I too find it difficult, even though we have one at home grin. I run outside 2-3 times a week and do park run every week. Just trying to work up the courage to increase my distance!

standingonlego Mon 20-Mar-17 20:50:02

My fault Zippyzulu...read the threAd but obviously easily confused tonight (not even had any 🍷yet)

standingonlego Mon 20-Mar-17 20:51:01

Just a thought - Could you tack on extra km before/after parkrun?

Zippyzulu Mon 20-Mar-17 21:00:39

I probably could actually- do and the dc normally meet me in a nearby cafe that I walk to but I could carry on running. I run my fastest at park run though, no way I could keep that pace smile

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Mon 20-Mar-17 22:04:42

I go with the extend and slow a long run approach. Keep the other runs shorter and faster.

There's a few NHS C25k+ podcasts which focus on pace. The stamina track is about 35 mins of running (plus warm up and cool down) and varies the pace through the run.

I found 5k to 10k much easier. I was a bit haphazard, had signed up for an 8.5 mile fun run expecting to run/walk and had covered about 10k in training. I astonished myself by actually running the whole thing (then got conned into a HM... that got tougher again)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now