Talk

Advanced search

Anyone fancy a lunchtime walking club?

(35 Posts)
TyneTeas Wed 15-Mar-17 21:12:46

Now the weather is a bit brighter, I am trying to get out for a walk at lunchtime a few times a week.

I am just setting the timer on my phone for ten minutes, heading​ off and turning​ around when it goes off. I vary my route but I do try to get a bit further the next time I go the same way.

Anyone fancy joining me for a virtual lunchtime walk?

I am hoping that checking in here will motivate me to get out more regularly... smile

TyneTeas Wed 15-Mar-17 21:28:30

(I know this may not sound particularly ambitious, but it represents a fair increase in activity for me.)

People of all levels of fitness (or lack of!) welcome, or just looking to get away from the office a few times a week)

SierraJensen Thu 16-Mar-17 10:19:47

Sounds good to me. I only work part time but try to walk as much as possible on Tuesday and Wednesday lunchtimes and walk home on a Thursday.

I try to force myself to walk uphill in my lunch hour going a street further each time but I've been off sick this week and barely left the house for a week which I fear will set me back.

Do you have a step counter?

PinPon Thu 16-Mar-17 10:26:50

May I join too? I need something to get me away from my desk at lunch times. Too easy to be sedentary and not move much until home time.

TyneTeas Thu 16-Mar-17 11:12:54

The more the merrier smile

It's clouded over a bit here but am not going to let that put me off unless it rains

TyneTeas Thu 16-Mar-17 12:23:48

Right - heading out...

SierraJensen Thu 16-Mar-17 12:41:28

What kind of environment will you be walking in? I live and work in a city but we do have stunning river views on a nice day. Cloudy here today too.

TyneTeas Thu 16-Mar-17 12:59:16

That's my 20 mins done.

I'm very ready for my sandwich now grin

(I'm in a city too)

SierraJensen Thu 16-Mar-17 13:12:05

Well done! Always a good feeling when you've done it. I'm about to take my toddler for a walk in the pushchair - just a short walk to get her to fall asleep!

TyneTeas Thu 16-Mar-17 17:05:49

Yes, definitely feel better for it and slightly less remorseful of the bit of cake i had this afternoon

TyneTeas Fri 17-Mar-17 11:28:40

A friendly wave to anyone who might be going out for a wander this lunchtime

PinPon Fri 17-Mar-17 11:52:53

It was sleeting at lunch time yesterday so stayed in. Definitely going out today though!

TyneTeas Fri 17-Mar-17 12:41:53

Sleet! Yes you are excused grin

I just did 10 mins today in a kind of figure of eight loop round the block with my office in the middle as there was a fine drizzle so i could get back quickly if necessary as I didn't want to be a soggy mess this afternoon.

Still better than nothing though

Anyone else been out?

SierraJensen Fri 17-Mar-17 19:22:56

DD and I walked back from a local museum today... But we also undid the good work by making and eating cake! No sleet here, just miserable rain

TyneTeas Fri 17-Mar-17 20:05:18

If you would have had the cake regardless, then the walk still counts smile

megletthesecond Sun 19-Mar-17 15:28:18

I do this every working day (3 a week). 20 - 30 min power walk come rain or shine. The vitamin d, cardio and mental health benefits are priceless.

TyneTeas Mon 20-Mar-17 13:44:06

It's a lovely day today but I've only managed a quick stroll around the block between meetings.

I might walk the long way home from the station tonight.

TheConstantCakeEater Mon 20-Mar-17 21:47:28

Hi, I try to walk daily but sometimes it's the morning school run or out and about during the day or the afternoon school run. I'm also aiming to do C25K 3x a week alongside.

Going for a good walk with a friend tomorrow at 10 grin

TheConstantCakeEater Tue 21-Mar-17 20:51:57

Did 6000 steps with my friend today and C25K this evening

TyneTeas Tue 21-Mar-17 23:05:00

Good work​ Constant smile

Just a short stroll again for me today, but i am determined to go out for at least two longer ones this week...

SierraJensen Wed 22-Mar-17 13:07:45

I really need to force myself out today as I am so tired after a bad night with DD. I know I'll feel better for it though...despite the fact it's blowing a gale! I really need to fit more exercise into my day - I find it difficult with a toddler who doesn't sleep to do an awful lot so really need to make the most of the chances I do get.

TyneTeas Wed 22-Mar-17 19:14:19

A bit too wet and a bit too busy were my excuses today.

I really do feel better in the afternoon even for a little walk, so i just need to make myself get up and go out!

TheConstantCakeEater Wed 22-Mar-17 19:55:10

I ate sugary stuff and did a bit of pilates wink

Will be walking 1.5miles in the morning and hopefully getting out for a nice long jog/walk Friday.

TyneTeas Fri 24-Mar-17 17:18:34

Made it out for about 25 mins so a better end to the week smile

TheConstantCakeEater Sun 26-Mar-17 20:29:40

Got out on Thursday and did 4km as part of C25K. Friday and yesterday were strolls around town and today more cake than walk wink

Will have a walk between 9-10 tomorrow and my jog again tomorrow evening.

Have a good walk at lunch this week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now