We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

'Average' runners, how much do you spend on trainers and how often do they need replacing?

(23 Posts)
handsfree Wed 15-Mar-17 12:45:32

Started running about a year ago, I would consider myself a very 'normal' runner, a normal week is probably 3-4 runs, 5-8k at a time.
I got a lot of new balance trainers from America, I think they were about $65. After nearly a year of running I've just replaced them as both trainers developed a couple of holes (one where my big toe is and the other where my little toe is!) and the lining was starting to wear away inside.

I've replaced them with a pair of Asics which cost me £64.99 reduced from £84.99. (After doing a couple of runs in them I'm gutted to realise they are in fact slightly too small, I hope they will stretch a bit!)

Just curious as to how often your trainers wear out and roughly how much you spend on a pair?

handsfree Wed 15-Mar-17 12:46:29

I didn't get a lot of new balance trainers in America btw, that should say a pair of!

Sirzy Wed 15-Mar-17 12:49:44

General rule of thumb is to change every 300-500 miles.

I like asics gel nimbus so pay about £120 a pair

KittiesInsane Wed 15-Mar-17 12:50:31

I typically do 5 k three times a week, and spend about £25 to £30 on trainers, but then I can get away with child sizes - in fact usually have to buy child sizes, because they come up wider.

A pair will last about a year.

VeryPunny Wed 15-Mar-17 12:52:51

Have you been to a proper running shop to see what kind of shoes suit you? I buy Mizuno Wave Riders, usually about one pair a year, doing a similar kind of distance to you. They release a new version every year but this is almost always cosmetic so you can get last year's colours quite cheaply. Full price they're about £90 IIRC.

I know it's time to replace them because my knees start getting a bit niggly.

handsfree Wed 15-Mar-17 13:00:12

I'm over 500 miles sirzy so I guess the new balance did well!

Very I did go to an independent sports shop as opposed to eg sports direct but they didn't really do anything other than ask me a few questions about what I do and then recommend a couple of pairs. They didn't actually check fitting or anything like that. What would you expect them to do?

handsfree Wed 15-Mar-17 13:01:26

How do you find out what trainers will suit you without having to just buy them and run in them to see?

Clairerandallfraserthe1st Wed 15-Mar-17 13:06:30

I go to an independent and they check your gait etc. I previously ran in size 6 and they put me in a 7.5 I was dubious but found them so much more comfortable and not as much dreaded toenail blackening.

Clairerandallfraserthe1st Wed 15-Mar-17 13:06:55

Oh and to answer your question £60- £100

emummy Wed 15-Mar-17 13:19:38

I had a gait analysis done when I started, and since then have replaced my trainers once a year. I get the same model from Sportsshoes.com and last week got my new pair for £56.

BlueChampagne Wed 15-Mar-17 13:39:49

Try to replace mine about every 500 miles and spend £50-£100 a pair after gait analysis. The general advice is to buy trainers a half to a whole size larger than your normal shoe size, because of course your feet get hot and swell up when you run.

I fear synthetic fabrics won't stretch like leather.

actiongirl1978 Wed 15-Mar-17 14:03:12

I wear ON Clouds and replace either every 6 months or 12 depending on how much running I have been doing. I can clearly tell when they need changing, it gets harder to run, the soles wear down heavily on the outside edge where the ball of my foot strikes and the soles look slightly squished.

I try to get them in the sale after Xmas. I am on my 4th pair, two of which cost £65 and two pairs were £100.

VeryPunny Wed 15-Mar-17 14:11:20

My local running shop does gait analysis, so they have you run on a treadmill with a wee video camera so they can see how you run (over/under pronate, neutral etc) and then recommend you a bunch of shoes to try on. You then try them on, go for a run around the car park etc, run on the treadmill and see how you get on. They also advise on different ways to lace them up - I have a high arch so have a bit of a gap in my shoe lacing over the highest point.

Second buying a half size up.

handsfree Wed 15-Mar-17 14:16:27

I am really irritated with the shop I went in to now, as they just asked what size shoe I was and never suggested sizing up. That kind of advice is precisely why I went to an independent instead of sports direct or the like.

I've just sent them a fb message to complain in fact. Extra irritating as now I've run in them so can't take them back.

Sirzy Wed 15-Mar-17 14:21:45

A decent running shop would change them if not right, especially as you asked for advice

KatharinaRosalie Wed 15-Mar-17 14:25:43

I don't replace mine too often, but I currently have 5 pairs of trainers just for running, so of course each pair does not get so much wear on average. Different cushioning for different tracks, depending on if I'm planning to run mainly on soft tracks or on the road, plus a race pair. My feet like the variety.

Yes to sizing up, I wear EUR 38/39 shoes but need size 40 trainers if I don't want to lose my toenails.

Bensyster Wed 15-Mar-17 18:12:15

I like Asics Kayano, try to get them for as little as possible - target less than £100. I replace them when they look worn, usually twice a year. I buy a size up.

naturalbaby Wed 15-Mar-17 21:57:08

I'm bit of a slacker and just read a load of reviews online then ordered a pair of New Balance 1/2 size bigger than usual,off Amazon for less than 50. They're now 4 years old and still going strong, but I only run once a week for 7-10km.

Cantseethewoods Wed 15-Mar-17 22:06:58

Hoka Challenger as I usually run trail/ tarmac mix and they're the best ATR I've found with decent cushioning. I change every 500-700k which is every 10-14 weeks depending on the season. Hoka are notorious for not lasting well though.

Gait analysis is somewhat controversial now as it's thought that it's better to correct issues through specific exercises- over probation usually due to not engaging the glutes, for example- rather than changing one aspect of your gait ( foot roll)

Killerqueen2244 Wed 15-Mar-17 22:19:26

The gait analysis in shops is not a good way of choosing trainers. If you have the time read this article about it, its very informative about shops marke...I mean gait analysis www.running-physio.com/segmentation/‬

Your body adapts to your running style and if you've not suffered overuse injuries then just stick with what trainers feel comfortable for you. A good indicator to see if your trainers are due for renewal is looking for tread wear (is it smooth underneath in places?) and by taking out the insole, if you run your fingers across where your toes would normally be deep imprints would suggest you've worn down the cushioning.

If you suffer overuse injuries it'll be an issue further up your leg/body, which a trainer will not fix!

sheepysheep Thu 16-Mar-17 15:39:49

Like others I also size up from a 39 to a 41 having learnt my lesson after losing three toe nails in the london marathon. I love asics - I have wide, flat feet and over pronate really badly. I used to always get asics Kayano but they are eye wateringly expensive - £120+. I tried some asics gt-1000 recently and they are actually better for me despite being much cheaper (mine we £55). 400 ish miles and still feel good whereas the kayanos usually start falling apart at 350ish.
Personally I think the most important thing to do is to get your gait analysed - if you have no pronation issues then pricey trainers aren't quite so important, apparently.

ThursdayLastWeek Thu 16-Mar-17 16:21:33

Killerqueen that really interesting. I've always avoided getting my fair analysed - mostly so I don't feel obliged to buy a very expensive pair of trainers afterwards! But your post has vindicated my love of my NB minimus trail shoes that I replace often because I love them so.

I have no idea if they're 'right' for me apart from that they are comfy, stable and I am injury free smile

In answer to your OP OP. I replace my trails manually because they're knackered. I replace my roads annually on my birthday because I never like the ones I have very much grin

lljkk Thu 16-Mar-17 20:27:57

I wait until mine have completely worn out which is probably 500-700 miles. Seems like a new pair usually costs about £35.

90% of where I run is cross-country so gait analysis not relevant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now