Talk

Advanced search

Reformer Pilates?

(9 Posts)
Craftycakey15 Tue 14-Mar-17 23:04:46

I've had a baby and am out of shape. I want to start Pilates to get my body strong again. Is reformer Pilates more difficult than mat lessons ?

Craftycakey15 Wed 15-Mar-17 21:23:45

Bump?

anotherbloodycyclist Wed 15-Mar-17 22:13:53

No, it acts as a support system for your body, and helps you to recruit the correct muscle groups. I think it's easier, and you are less likely to get it wrong. If you have never done Pilates and are looking to build core strength it's a good place to start. Cons are the price (£25ph as opposed to £15 for mat). I've done both but prefer mat.

KingIrving Thu 16-Mar-17 05:32:34

Reformer and mat are very different.
I wouldn't say it is harder and it really depends on the instructors
Some gym offers Reformer class included in their membership. Here in Australia it is the case for Virgin Active, so you might want to look at a couple of gyms, so if you don't really like it, you still have other classes to look at.

Sunnie1984 Thu 16-Mar-17 09:20:18

Mat and reformer Pilates are complimentary systems. The reformer provides support and resistance so you can work different muscles then the mat classes.

I do both and they are both good for beginners.

Craftycakey15 Thu 16-Mar-17 22:26:21

Thanks. I'd like to try a reformer class but they are v expensive

riverwell Fri 17-Mar-17 19:44:32

I would definitely check to see if the teacher has done additional training and qualifications for what is appropriate and safe in the post natal period. Body Control Pilates website search for a teacher section shows who has. Personally I enjoy the matwork more as you can practice at home.

Craftycakey15 Sat 18-Mar-17 08:58:51

Thank you for the advice riverwell . I will do that

megletthesecond Sun 19-Mar-17 15:25:27

This is what I would do if I was rich. A private pilates teacher. I'd be all lean and leggy like Taylor Swift in my dreams.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now