Talk

Advanced search

Nervous about running in a 5k race today

(18 Posts)
Silvertap Sun 12-Mar-17 06:26:12

I recently started doing the c25k program. In a fit of madness I signed up to a 5k race thinking it was in May. Turns out I got mixed up and it's today!

I'm so nervous - I'm only on week 5 and covering 4.5k in the 31 mins. I'm worried everyone else will be super fast and I'll be plodding along miles behind everyone else!

Please reassure me I won't be the only one...

eliolo Sun 12-Mar-17 06:30:07

Good luck grinthere will be loads of other people who's first race it is! You'll probably find the adrenaline kicks in and you run faster than ever too! Just enjoy it the atmosphere is always great grin

handsoffmecrownjules Sun 12-Mar-17 06:36:43

You're regularly running 4.5k - you will absolutely be fine OP and, as elilo says, the adrenaline will kick in and you'll probably run faster than you've ever run. There's no way you will be the slowest and what does it matter anyway. Well done you for signing up in the first place and have a great day. Please report back!

Silvertap Sun 12-Mar-17 06:43:00

Thanks people. I know it deep down that I'll be ok but it doesn't stop the nerves!

stilllearnin Sun 12-Mar-17 06:46:34

I have found there's quite a bit of camaraderie between runners. I like it when the faster finishers come back to cheer us slower ones on.

You won't be miles behind everyone else and that type of distance will attract all abilities. You should be really proud of yourself! Good luck.

BraveButShaking Sun 12-Mar-17 06:48:22

Hoorah!!

I am just off for a run myself (keen and competitive runner) and I just know when I come back and check you will have done the race, loved it, don't get well (31 mins for 4.5k is very credible) and be bubbling on a cloud of endorphins!

Trust me, you will be nowhere near last unless you have accidentally entered some elite race!

BraveButShaking Sun 12-Mar-17 06:48:54

*done very well

BraveButShaking Sun 12-Mar-17 06:50:15

Start of steady. People will go off like rabbits. Don't panic, it will settle.

BraveButShaking Sun 12-Mar-17 06:51:14

And actually the last runner usually gets the biggest cheer. They're fucking doing it aren't they! Not sitting on the couch!

AutumnalLeaves38 Sun 12-Mar-17 07:07:14

Your name in clear, bold lettering (hat? top?) means you'll get much more of a boost when onlookers cheer you on smile

Best of luck. Let us know how it goes...

CheeseAtFourpence Sun 12-Mar-17 07:34:14

Good luck! 31 mins for 4.5k isn't bad at all. There will definitely be slower runners - and I find that the crowd and other runners always give me a boost to run a bit faster anyway.

BigGreenOlives Sun 12-Mar-17 07:40:58

I see people posting times of 38-45 minutes on Facebook, hold your head up high & enjoy the event.

Silvertap Sun 12-Mar-17 19:03:05

You were all right - I feel AMAZING!! I ran the whole way round without walking at did it in 30.42. Came 35th out of 116 and was the 15th woman.

Go me!!

stilllearnin Sun 12-Mar-17 19:05:43

Ha! That is amazing. Well done (when is your next one?!!!) star

Silvertap Sun 12-Mar-17 19:06:41

I'm doing the village 10k at
Easter.

Have a lot of training to do before then!!

Think I might sign up for a few more as it definitely keeps me motivated on a dark night

AutumnalLeaves38 Sun 12-Mar-17 20:01:44

Hooray for Silvertap star star star

That's really great. Good luck with the next ones, and especially the 10k. Keep us updated.

You better start planning your costume for next year's London Marathon at this rate!

CheeseAtFourpence Sun 12-Mar-17 20:13:49

Excellent - well done you! star

BraveButShaking Sun 12-Mar-17 21:30:02

Tell ya! I'm so glad you enjoyed it and you did very well.

Keep it up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now