Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

size 14

(26 Posts)
whowouldknow Sat 04-Mar-17 18:50:42

I've been a size 14 for a long as I can remember. I am happy at that but over a year ago I could feel my clothes getting tighter so I embarked on a fitness regime. Started Jan 2016 and now do 3 classes per week. I have been really enjoying it but I haven't noticed much change in my size. I have a healthy diet but I fully admit that I enjoy food and I would say I have a healthy relationship with food.

So I have a friend who doesn't really believe in exercise-she keeps telling me I'm the shape I am and my efforts are doing nothing for me-hinting that I could be getting bigger.

I am panicking now-can someone reassure me that 3 normal classes a week is not going to make me bigger???

I

TheseAreTheGoodOldDays Sat 04-Mar-17 19:54:44

Three normal classes a week will not be making you bigger! Relax smile stick with the exercise if you're doing what you enjoy - will be helping you keep fit and healthy and the endorphins are great for mental health.

Are you wanting to lose weight? 'They' say losing weight starts in the kitchen and not the gym.. So is your diet as good as you think it is?

I've recently had the same problem, and have realised that 1) even though my meals are usually good, I will pick at food between that I conveniently forget about when looking back at what I've consumed that day grin and 2) sometimes in the back of my mind I think that I can have that extra slice of cake because I ran that morning, or we can get a takeaway because I done some weights. So the outcome is that even though I'm burning some extra calories I'm often taking more on without even realising, so instead of losing weight I'm just maintaining - all good and well if you're a weight you're happy with! Not if you have a few lb's to shift like myself.

Have now forgotten what you're original post was! Excuse my rambling. Conclusion is just if you're happy that size just stick with what you're doing without worrying that 3 gym classes a week will make you 'big'. If you're trying to shift some weight definitely take an honest look at what you eat (I've found that MyFitnessPal helps with that, have been shocked that something I would assume was 100-200 calories is actually 300-400, they soon add up!)

maybeshesawomble Sat 04-Mar-17 19:55:20

It could be making you bigger if you're subconsciously eating more - even if healthy foods - because you know you're exercising? Probably just your friend being unkind and wanting to dismiss exercise as she doesn't do any though.

whowouldknow Sat 04-Mar-17 20:03:15

Thanks for the replies! Yes I see what u mean- I do tend to feel pretty pleased with myself when I've completed my classes so I will have a good look at my intake. I've a big holiday coming up and I'll determined not to feel uncomfortable / embarrassed about my body in summer clothes so have given up snacks for lent-I think I might surprise myself how often I have to say no when before I'd just scoffed it!! Would love to lose a few lbs but I don't want that to become my focus iykwim?

whowouldknow Sat 04-Mar-17 20:05:59

But the bottom line is-3 classes a week isn't going to bulk me up like my friend is suggesting?

She reckons my body shape means I'll never be any smaller

unlimiteddilutingjuice Sat 04-Mar-17 20:12:47

I'm in a similar position, OP, but heavier.
I'm a size 18 and have been excericisng fairly seriously for about a year.
I've not lost any weight or changed dress size.
But: My posture is better, my body is firmer, my clothes look better on me, my face has visible cheekbones.
Some fat has gone, some muscle has been built.
OP: I'm weightlifting. Big fuck off weights. In a room full of sweaty, grunting bam-pots and crusing gay men.
If I'm not "bigger" you are not going to be!
BTW I'm also considering moderating my diet. Only considering it mind.......food is nice....

whowouldknow Sat 04-Mar-17 23:35:09

LOL juice! I know! Its a big commitment to change what u love! I think that's where I'm at to be honest. A really good friend said recently imagine what size you'd be if you weren't exercising! This sound harsh but it was well meant in context!

RJnomore1 Sat 04-Mar-17 23:39:50

Bulk you up? Are you taking testosterone supplements and lifting 1.5/2 x body weight?

Or does your friend just not really know anything about it?

Out of interest what classes are you doing?

whowouldknow Sat 04-Mar-17 23:40:39

LOL juice! I know! Its a big commitment to change what u love! I think that's where I'm at to be honest. A really good friend said recently imagine what size you'd be if you weren't exercising! This sound harsh but it was well meant in context!

JustGettingStarted Sun 05-Mar-17 06:10:46

Three exercise classes a week, in the absence of anything else, isn't going to make you lose weight. And even if you were also reducing calories, the type of exercise matters.

1. Track calories and make sure you're eating at a deficit.
2. Lift heavy weights. This does burn calories and it also preserves muscle mass so that you lose mostly fat.
3. Do HIIT: intense, short bursts of cardio with rest periods. Something that you can sustain for maybe two minutes and has you gasping raggedly for breath. Work for a couple of minutes, rest for a couple of minutes. Repeat 5-8 times. Three times a week.

If you do these things, your fat will melt away rapidly. If weights intimidate you, then just do the diet and HIIT. But weights are the best thing.

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Sun 05-Mar-17 06:27:42

Also
Turn the heating down... your body burns a hell of a lot of energy keeping itself warm
Do exercise that makes you breath heavily and puff and pant a bit, but not breathless. Your lungs also really burn energy simply sucking and pushing air in and out.

Look carefully at all so called "healthy" low fat foods. The processors ladle low fat foods with sugar and salt to try and give them some taste.

As PP's said, look at your diet and how you eat. Do not eat until you feel full. Your stomach takes about half an hour to tell your brain it is full. In that time you can eat an extra portion or three. Fill your plate with no more than a meal the size if your fist. That is the size of your stomach.

Cut down on booze. A glass of wine has 200 calories! That is 1/5 of your calorie intake if you are trying to loose weight!!!

Loosing weight is not easy when surrounded by food. But it is worthwhile.

Good luck.

Yolandafarthing Sun 05-Mar-17 06:29:17

You're better off concentrating on diet to lose weight really

Thefitfatty Sun 05-Mar-17 06:34:36

No you won't get bigger from exercising. Generally building more muscle will make you leaner. 3 classes a week with no change in diet probably won't make any drastic changes leaness wise, but if you're happy at your current size I wouldn't worry about it.

WallisFrizz Sun 05-Mar-17 06:46:50

I remember about 10 years ago I took up running and over the next few months worked up to 3 x 8 mile runs a week. Believe it or not, I did put on a few pounds and my bottom got bigger. I think there were two reasons for this - my runs were pretty hilly which built more muscle on my lower half but, significantly, I was bloody starving all the time so ate what I wanted.

The exercise is great, please don't stop it, but don't over compensate with the food.

graciestocksfield Sun 05-Mar-17 06:49:14

Don't do HIIT. Do exercise you enjoy. HIIT is for masochists and sadistic trainers. I put weight on when I tried it as I hated it, it made me miserable and give up the other exercise I actually enjoyed, that was pretty intense anyway and for longer periods. Plus you can easily injure yourself doing anaerobic exercise when you aren't used to it. I start feeling dizzy and sick if my heart rate goes over about 155 bpm, it doesn't feel right at all and it definitely isn't good for me, I don't care what anyone says.

You are probably eating just enough at the moment but you need to religiously watch your calorie intake and create a 500 calorie a day defecit to lose 1lb a week.

JustGettingStarted Sun 05-Mar-17 07:28:21

Not all HIIT is anaerobic. Tabata, which is an all-out effort sustainable for no more than 20 seconds is anaerobic. There's also aerobic HIIT in which you work intensely for 2 or 3 minutes at a time. Individual perceptions of how unpleasant this is will vary but I make it fun by doing a circuit of 5 or 6 things and arranging the order between different muscle groups so that the "burn" doesn't get vicious in any particular part of the body.

Yesterday I did weighted step-ups onto a platform for 30 seconds, slammed the battle rope 15x, did pushups 10x, squats 15x and medicine ball slams 15x. I was gasping for breath but not nauseous or miserable. It took me 23 minutes to repeat 6 circuits. It did more good than an hour of jogging would have and worked most muscle groups. (I vary exercises each time. My back also gets worked).

whowouldknow Sun 05-Mar-17 08:42:56

It verys RJ - spin, pump, boxing etc.

whowouldknow Sun 05-Mar-17 08:43:55

Varies hmm

whowouldknow Sun 05-Mar-17 08:48:34

Thanks for all the replies! Really interesting. Will try the HIIT-there are a few sessions at the gym.

Thanks!

Oblomov17 Sun 05-Mar-17 08:57:50

I believe exercise is 80/20 when it comes to losing weight. Done don't agree. Food is the crucial bit. Of course it's good to exercise. But if you want the weight loss, you need to focus on the food.

TheMightyMing Sun 05-Mar-17 09:04:16

Your friend is talking rubbish. I used to be a size 14, like you I've joined a gym. I do weights, spin, HIIT, toning classes, a real mix of stuff. I used to have terrible posture and the work I've done has improved that no end. It's also broadened my shoulders out so I'm no long pear shaped. I'm a size 10 now but I haven't lots loads of weight, maybe a stone and a bit. I look completely different though. As you say, try the HIIT as that really helps.

Re food, avoid 'diet fat free' food at all costs. Have butter, milk and full fat Greek yoghurt. Eat protein with each meal. You'll soon see a difference.

Size 14 isn't that big anyway- I always felt ok, though I'm not tall and every pound does show in my frame.

Good luck.

JustGettingStarted Sun 05-Mar-17 10:05:35

I'm similar in size to you, op. I'm much taller, so not really the same.

But I got up to a size 16 (possibly pushing an 18). Because of my height and the fact that I gain in my belly, my friends didn't believe me.

I've lost 25lbs (6.5" from my waist) since I quit drinking 128 days ago. The first stone was down to simply not drinking and lifting weights. That took roughly 80 days. That's when I realised that I was stalling and so stepped it up. I started to count calories and added cardio 4x a week . Then the loss sped up again. Been losing 1-2 lbs a week.

I'm very close to my goal (which isn't a clear number... Probably around 145). Then I get to eat more and get stronger!

whowouldknow Sun 05-Mar-17 20:11:35

Themightming - that's brilliant - my friend reckons it would be impossible for me to be a size 10 due to my body 'type'. hmm

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone-some great ideas for me to try smile

TheMightyMing Sun 05-Mar-17 21:13:12

I'll message you some pics .

Thefitfatty Mon 06-Mar-17 08:06:02

my friend reckons it would be impossible for me to be a size 10 due to my body 'type'. hmm

She sounds a peach! Why are you friends with her again? confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now