Talk

Advanced search

Foam roller anyone?

(4 Posts)
practicallyperfectinmyway Tue 28-Feb-17 23:15:55

I've been watching folks @ gym using a foam roller and am wondering if anyone here has used one, which type, difference it's made and any tips?

Just curious before I go for it.

MeNeedSleep Wed 01-Mar-17 13:30:54

I use one after every run and swear by it for staving off injury. That and stretching.
I have a short trigger point one, which is more painful than the smooth ones but you get used to it!

naturalbaby Tue 07-Mar-17 19:48:42

You need to have a vague idea of what you're rolling and why. I use a plain roller for the whole of my back and thighs - but I was told to only roll just above the knee and hip crease, not the whole thigh. Also small hard balls (lacrosse ball) are really useful for smaller areas - I used one on my upper back and lower neck - where all the tension builds up. If you do it properly it hurts like hell but is as good as a massage from a physio if you get it right.

On youtube mobility wod is excellent - he explains what you should do and why.

Cantseethewoods Thu 09-Mar-17 05:49:52

I use a padded plastic roller on my upper and lower quads, glutes and calves before stretching and to get rid of knotty bits. I'm a runner with a tendency towards tightness and running with tight muscles is similar to running with the handbrake on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now