Talk

Advanced search

Training on different terrain to the race

(5 Posts)
PregnantAndEngaged Tue 28-Feb-17 21:17:18

Hi there, I have signed up for a 10 mile running race which is mostly on consistently flat terrain but where I live is hilly so lots of uphill/downhill, although uphill is hard work l, does the fact my heart rate has chance to recover on downhill mean that I am likely to find running the same distance on flat terrain harder?

mumsnitter Tue 28-Feb-17 22:11:32

I run on hills generally and find I go so much faster on the flat as a result. The hills are definitely your friend I'd say. They will improve your running I reckon. Good luck with the race smile

MaidOfStars Wed 01-Mar-17 15:00:49

Hill training is good!

MaidOfStars Wed 01-Mar-17 15:01:38

And one obvious point is to run harder down hills so your heart rate isn't dropping too much. I run on some steep ones and I sprint down them.

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Wed 01-Mar-17 21:18:01

I live in a lumpy area, and do a lot of cross country or trail runs. My speed on flat road races that follow the valley is much higher and I can consistently maintain a higher pace over the course of the race.

Because I use a lot more effort in training, something like a 2 hr run for HM training will cover 10 miles, but I can do the actual HM in just over 2 hr 10. At least it's the better way round!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now