Talk

Advanced search

Running watch for a child

(10 Posts)
FreddoBaggyMac Tue 28-Feb-17 14:03:32

Hi. My son is very into athletics and would like a running watch for his 10th birthday. I'd really appreciate any recommendations...
It obviously needs to be small in size and not pink or purple!
He wants to track his speed and how far he's ran so I'm thinking that means it needs GPS (?)
My budget is around £120.
Many thanks for any help / advice.

feetheart Tue 28-Feb-17 15:09:14

We bought DS a 2nd hand Garmin15 for Christmas the year before last when he was 10. It can do what my Garmin10 can do so distance, time, pace, etc but his does steps and probably all sorts of other things too (in truth mine probably does more than I know about!)
He uses it to record his parkruns and, sometimes, his training sessions and it seems to do enough to have kept his interest for over a year. He also wears it as his 'normal' watch so it has been well used.
If you don't want to get a new one there are a number of 2nd hand running gear sites though we got his from a running club friend who was upgrading.
HTH

feetheart Tue 28-Feb-17 15:12:38

Meant to add we paid £50 (think they are about £100), they do a variety of colours and the strap has 'doing up slots' all round it so it can fit his very skinny wrist.

FreddoBaggyMac Wed 01-Mar-17 16:35:51

Thanks feetheart, sounds good - I will look into it.

teaandakitkat Wed 01-Mar-17 17:58:17

My 10 yr old has a garmin forerunner 10 which is an older version. I bought it on amazon in December for £45. Tracks his distance, speed, lap times, everything he needs.
And it usually locks into gps way faster than my newer more expensive model.

FreddoBaggyMac Thu 02-Mar-17 12:32:33

Thanks teaandakitkat. The Garmin forerunner10 and 15 look good and I like the price... however the ones in small size which are available and under £100 only seem to come in pink or purple which DS would not be keen on! I will keep looking though.

teaandakitkat Thu 02-Mar-17 13:19:33

That's a shame. Ours is green

feetheart Thu 02-Mar-17 14:33:45

Wouldn't worry too much about getting a small. DS's is probably a medium as we bought it 2nd hand from an adult and it fits him easily as the holes on the strap mean he can do it up to fit his scrawny thin wrist smile

stuckinny Thu 02-Mar-17 14:46:46

My son has a Garmin 405 forerunner (which I steal) that is good. We bought a soft Velcro strap that works much better than the strap it comes with.

FreddoBaggyMac Fri 03-Mar-17 20:08:16

Thanks everyone... really helpful info. I'm going to do some serious investigation this weekend!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: