Talk

Advanced search

Nerve damage and exercising

(3 Posts)
Kikikaakaa Thu 16-Feb-17 10:38:05

I had a severely compressed sciatic nerve a few years ago in one of my legs, lost a lot of sensation at the time in my foot and ankle. I was fit at the time it happened, it was an injury I sustained at work lifting boxes. because of the severe back pain, nerve damage etc, I haven't done hardly any exercise since and have put on a load of weight, unfit etc.

The compression has been gone for some time, no pain. But the leg is weak and unpredictable and has about 95% sensation back.

I've rejoined a gym now and can comfortably walk fast on a steep incline on the treadmill, use bikes for short periods but I need to build strength.

I went to body balance recently, I had to use the wall for balance on this leg, also I found it really hard to position this leg when doing yoga.

I wonder what other exercises would be good for me, should I persevere with body balance despite it being really hard? I don't want to injure myself again.

After using the treadmill or doing body balance, my affected leg trembles for a long time, is this normal? Also the calf muscle is reaalllly tight.

I don't have any medical help with this, no physio as the 'cause' of it is now resolved but little idea how to get fit with this issue

user1476651402 Thu 16-Feb-17 20:20:19

I'm not a medic but it sounds like you just need to build strength, as you say. I would say keep up with the body balance. Hard is OK, but stop if you get any pain while you're doing the exercise. Maybe also practise a few calf raises every day (if you Google you'll find instructions). It will probably take a while but you should see improvements if you work the leg consistently.

Kikikaakaa Mon 20-Feb-17 21:22:15

Thank you. I'm not getting any pain but I am having spasms confused and I am not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. It's never happened before - it's not a cramp, it's a spasm in my foot and toes where they all move and twitch. I don't know if this means it's stressed or building up! No clue!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now