Talk

Advanced search

Sore shoulder. What exercise can I do now?

(8 Posts)
DeadZed Sun 12-Feb-17 21:52:46

I've hurt my shoulder. Not sure how but I think it has come from my dog pulling my arm when walking. I've been doing the 30 day shred for two weeks now but I don't know what to do instead. I was just starting to enjoy exercising after a six month break and now this. I've rested my arm for nearly a week and it is feeling a little better now although it still hurts but I know doing anything will set it off again.

I exercise at home because I feel very self conscious outside apart from walking of course. (Large boobs and large everything seems to attract too much attention ). I am also trying to lose weight so I need to do something to spur me on.

What can I do that is cheap and won't cause anymore pain?

SecondsLeft Sun 12-Feb-17 22:08:17

Is it a shoulder impingement maybe - quite a common infmammatory injury I think. Mine was probable caused by ipad use. Sorry its hurting, maybe get some advice if not better soon. How about dance workouts from youtube? Just don't wave your arms about too much (my smart watch thinks I am swimming when I do dance workouts...)

MaidOfStars Mon 13-Feb-17 06:16:48

Where is it hurting?

DeadZed Mon 13-Feb-17 09:30:15

It hurts from the side of my neck down across the top of the shoulder and into the top of the arm as well. I've been taking paracetamol and ibuprofen to help with the pain but it has kept me awake at night. Also a hot shower directed on my shoulder helps too.
It does feel a little better today but I have purposely tried not to use my arm for anything over the weekend. No lifting or dog walking and carrying anything with my other arm. Hopefully it is starting to ease now.

yeOldeTrout Mon 13-Feb-17 17:35:34

Shoulder injuries are swines, it's a complicated joint.

You can check out videos on Youtube, exercises to try to strengthen your shoulder & possibly a bit of self-diagnosis. Respect the pain.

DeadZed Mon 13-Feb-17 18:54:21

I am respecting the pain but it is sooo frustrating. Definitely feels much better today, just some little twinges so hopefully I just need to wait it out.

If it wasn't so windy today I was considering taking my bike out. not sure whether leaning on the handle bars would be detrimental though.

RJnomore1 Mon 13-Feb-17 18:57:40

Ok that sounds like your trap not your actual shoulder so if it's achy not sharp it shouldn't stop you training and if it's sharp pain basically just don't do the bit that causes the sharp pain. I've got the same thing going on and it is to do with too much time sat at my desk and PC.

MaidOfStars Mon 13-Feb-17 20:57:16

I've just worked off a rotator cuff injury - pain across top of shoulder, extending into neck, difficulty turning head to that side, couldn't lift above my head without intense acute pain.

Physio gave me some exercises to do and it's been fab.

1. Do you have a resistance band or weights? Basically, you need to dig your elbow into your waist, hold your forearm forward, then move your forearm/hand away from your body. With me? With a resistance band around your wrists, do both arms at the same time. With a weight, lie in unaffected side and move arm away from floor. This works the little muscles in your shoulder that allow it to function fully but often get missed in mainline exercise.

2. Practice belly breathing. One hand on belly, one on chest. When you breathe in, you want the belly hand to move out first. This means that your shoulders aren't tensing when you breathe. It becomes natural with practice - lying in bed, in the shower, etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now