Talk

Advanced search

Half marathon - 3 week taper too long?

(3 Posts)
RandomMcRandomface Sat 11-Feb-17 00:26:13

Interested in advice - I am thinking of training for a half in May. Problem is I know I won't be able to do any significant training the three weeks beforehand so would effectively have to bring my training forward and taper for 3 weeks. Is this too long for a taper?

I can run 10km now but still need to build up to 21.

KeyserSophie Sat 11-Feb-17 11:09:58

I did a 3 week taper for London marathon a few years ago and it massively paid off. I would do a final long run of 18k as close as possible (i.e. right before you start tapering) and then just really try to do 2 x 5-10k as a minimum for the first week of the 3, and then maybe 2 x 5k, and 2 x 3k.

GuyMartinsSideburns Sat 18-Feb-17 07:40:04

I'm encouraged to read this, 11 days ago I ran 10 miles and the next day my left foot was very painful (it was a pain I've recognized before so I'm guessing same injury flare up) but I'm concerned as I'm doing my first half in 3 weeks time (hopefully). My trainer says with all the miles I've put in in training, having 2/3 weeks off then doing the half shouldn't be a problem but I'm getting a bit anxious tbh! I've got a physio appointment on thurs so will see what they say and then plan from then I guess. Does that sound okay?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now