Talk

Advanced search

Pregnancy - swimming

(7 Posts)
harleysmammy Fri 10-Feb-17 18:45:21

I dont know if this is the right place sorry,

Im 28 weeks pregnant and have always loved swimming, not so much swimming but being in the pool, i just find it really relaxing. I know hot baths and hot tubs are a no go, i wouldnt do that but i just really want to go to the pool now i have my maternity leave and have nothing else to do. I have always thought swimming was a good recommended exercise when pregnant with good benefits like relaxing the muscles if you get rlp and things. I just read that swimming should be avoided because of the water pressure on the uterus? Is that real or is it just rubbish in a book? X

Ilovecaindingle Fri 10-Feb-17 18:48:07

Aqua natal is very popular so try that!!

ScottishSnowflake Fri 10-Feb-17 18:49:37

I'm still swimming and I'm 40w. My midwife loves it as it helps keep baby in the right position and turned mine from back to back smile

eckythumpenallthat Fri 10-Feb-17 18:50:23

I swam up till 40 weeks with no problems. Must have been good in there cos dd refused to come out 😂

BlahBlahBlahEtc Fri 10-Feb-17 18:51:42

I think that's rubbish. Everything I've seen says swimming is reccommended smile

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Fri 10-Feb-17 21:09:54

Swimming is great in pregnancy. I took refuge in swimming pools in my first pregnancy as respite from the weight of the bump (I ended up weighing 50% extra between months 4-9!).

Be cautious about breaststroke legs. If you have pelvis problems, the wide movement can aggravate it.

FacelikeaBagofHammers Tue 14-Feb-17 11:54:29

Swimming is fantastic for pregnancy. Keep it slow and steady and as someone else mentioned, watch out for the breaststroke.

I found swimming particularly pleasant as I was so buoyant with all that extra bodyfat smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now