Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Hill work for beginners....but what about my knees?

(3 Posts)
parklives Thu 09-Feb-17 22:12:17

Am a C25K graduate, but am very slow. What to increase my speed so I can do my 5k route quicker (I do 3xtimes a week).
I want to introduce hill work to improve my strength and stamina, and am lucky hmm in that I live in a valley with lots of hills around.
I am concerned about my knees though. at the moment they are fine, but my dgm and dm both ended up in wheelchairs due to their knees by their 60's, and I am worried I have inherited the same knees.

My concern it once I have run up the hill, how do I come down without jarring my knees? I don't want to have to walk down as that will take up much more time, but I feel like I am damaging myself if I try and jog down. Do I just need to pick gentle slopes? Or am I worried about nothing as my muscles are strong enough to protect my skeleton by now?

feetheart Thu 09-Feb-17 23:25:54

Most of the hill work I've done involves 'reps' so you run up a bit of a hill and jog down again then repeat this a number of times. The idea is you should run all the reps at the same pace so don't hare off at the start!
I'd start with a gentle-ish slope and try 5 or 6 reps, have a few minutes rest then try it again. It is surprisingly tough << says she who is collapsed on the sofa after a hill session with the running club tonight!>>
This way you build up slowly and your knees should be fine.

Bensyster Fri 10-Feb-17 08:36:49

Going down a hill is very sore on knees. Do loads of squats before you start hill running.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now