Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

total gym novice

(14 Posts)
StarBurger Tue 07-Feb-17 11:33:14

Hi everyone/anyone..

Right I have got fat and want to do something about it! I've signed up to the gym and am planning on going tomorrow. I've got an induction booked but can't afford a personal trainer.

So my question is mumsnet what do I do at a gym? 10 mins on a bike then some jogging? Or stand in the corner crying? Help!

saltydogandme Tue 07-Feb-17 11:40:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wolfiefan Tue 07-Feb-17 11:42:33

You need a personal programme. You don't need a personal trainer every week but a programme to work on.

bohemianred Tue 07-Feb-17 11:53:03

Starburger , good luck!

If you are really new to all this, what you want is to pace yourself, take it slow so you don't put yourself off.
You want to make it a habit (this takes about 21 days) so start with some simple things where you'll be able to see some progress:

1. Warm up with some simple stretches, and stepping side to side quickly, to get your muscles warm and heart rate up.

2. Bike. Start by tryig to do 10 minutes at a slightly challenging speed, not too much, but enough that you have to really focus on your breathing. After week 1, try to do 15 minutes, then 20, etc...
That should be a good way to introduce some cardio without it being too brutal.

3. Weights. Big fan of this. If you build muscle you become stronger and you burn calories even at rest.
There are some GREAT youtube videos on simple dumbbell routines you can do.
Again start with a weight that is slightly challenging but not too heavy, to avoid injuring yourself.

My opinion is , at the beginning, you want to turn the fitness thing into a habit, so you need to do things that work you, but not into the ground, so that you look forward to going back.

If you stick to this, within a month you'll feel better and see progress. Then you can start introducing more difficult things

smile

Good luck!
x

StarBurger Tue 07-Feb-17 13:33:24

Eeeeek! I'm shitting myself!

Thanks saltydogandme. I am utterly clueless! Fingers crossed I get given a good induction and don't make a complete tit of myself!

Wow thanks bohemianred very helpful. I was thinking weights. I really want to stick at this!! I'm miserable like this. I have never been this fat! Thanks baby! Hehe

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply! I'm starting to feel a little bit less nervous! (Mainly hoping people won't laugh at this fatty!!)

So if this is week one. Is an hour a good amount of time? And how many days should I go? I know I really should pay someone to answer my questions but I really cannot afford it (SAHP) so I am really grateful to you all!

BIWI Tue 07-Feb-17 13:35:13

Good advice above - but also, don't forget that weight loss will come mainly through diet not exercise.

StarBurger Tue 07-Feb-17 13:46:21

Thanks BIWI I understand that too. smile To be honest we eat very healthily it's the portions sizes and unbalance (too much meat and carbs) I am currently addressing that too smile

BIWI Tue 07-Feb-17 13:47:39

Nothing wrong with the meat! It's the carbs that are the issue ...

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy the gym - that's really the key to success.

Bluntness100 Tue 07-Feb-17 13:51:09

I'd second weights, I use thwould Chloe Madeley weights for women app, it's really good as it shows you what to do in the gym with free weights and saves you looking like a numpty first few times.

As for cardio, I'm not a huge fan, I find it boring, but you can try the different machines. I do gym five or six times a week, but I only do about ten to twelve mins of cardio and spend the next however long, usually about 40 mins at least doing weights.

Note, it's really hard to bulk up as a woman, weights tend to make you leaner and burn fat faster and you're normally out of breath doing them.

EmpressOfTheSpartacusOceans Tue 07-Feb-17 13:54:59

Good luck!

When I had my induction the trainer asked about what I wanted to achieve, how much time I had & watched me trying the exercises & equipment out to see what stage I was at. I ended up with a written exercise plan that I carried round religiously for the first few weeks until I realised I had the routine down.

Like BIWI says, the important thing is that you enjoy it!

Bluntness100 Tue 07-Feb-17 13:57:40

>>- that's really the key to success.<<

I agree with this, they say it's 80 percent diet and 20 percent gym but I honestly think it makes a big difference and suspect that's just on actual weight. As the gym tones you up and makes you physically look leaner if you do the right exercises, that's where the major difference comes in. If you don't do it, you might only lose twenty percent less weight but your measurements would be much bigger.

bohemianred Tue 07-Feb-17 14:05:22

No problem OP!!!

Just make it part of your new routine, and look at it as lifestyle, rather than a crash diet/ weight loss only journey.

Obviously your main motivation is the weigh loss, but tell yourself you're doing it to feel better too.
It's great for stress relief, you'll sleep better, feel stronger after a couple of weeks, and exercise is good for the brain and at warding off cancer.

Just go steady.
Make the Gym something you look forward to, total "me time", and then you'll stick to it.
Don't have a "punish yourself" attitude smile

Try to go every second day and see how that works. One day on, one day rest, and so on. But you'll soon find what works for you.
If you start with one hour sessions 3 times a week, you can maintain that and I swear you'll see results quickly ;)

x

StarBurger Tue 07-Feb-17 14:42:21

Thank you all so much!! Will definitely download that app! I need all the help I can get!! Hehe

I really hope that the gym suits me. I like the me time idea! I don't get any ever so hopefully this will be a treat!

I've always been very lucky as I never had to try and maintain a healthy weight but I had a back injury a few years ago and couldn't move very much for a long time. I found comfort in food and the weight piled on! I totally understand that I need a change in lifestyle I have become very lazy and eat when I am bored!

The doctor gave me the all clear to start at the gym back in November and it has taken me this long to build up the courage to do something about it!

Thank you all for the words of encouragement and support! And please keep the newbie gym tips coming!! Xxx
"Eat less, move more"

StarBurger Tue 07-Feb-17 14:44:40

Oh and the baby doesn't help either I find myself snacking with her! Must not eat crap!! Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now