Talk

Advanced search

Exercise and illness

(14 Posts)
YourFace Mon 06-Feb-17 15:20:42

Just wondering....how ill do you have to be miss whatever you normally do?

Currently 3.5 ill out of 10....mild sore throat and generally a little under the weather. Would that stop you?

MaidOfStars Mon 06-Feb-17 17:08:43

No. I run with full on colds/chesty coughs (great for hacking it all out, and nobody cares if you have to snot on the pavement), I lift hungover (although I wouldn't recommend it, it seems to make me stronger confused and I play netball in any old condition (admittedly, with teammates to pick up a little slack).

lljkk Mon 06-Feb-17 18:11:37

I figured out I have had illness 4 out of last 10 weeks.
I've missed 3 days of usual exercise, so napped instead, had short cycle ride instead of long run, didn't fancy the rain anyway.

Usually I feel better after the exercise, I find.

YourFace Mon 06-Feb-17 21:21:13

Just back from body pump. I suppose I always worry I'll make a mild illness into something more severe. I do generally persevere with a hangover but am always a bit wary with a proper bug. It's interesting to hear what other's do.

Greenteandchives Mon 06-Feb-17 21:25:59

I have only missed for injury. Don't remember ever missing for illness. I may tone it down a bit, but I still go. If I have a cold I think the deeper breathing from exertion helps clear it anyway.

MaidOfStars Mon 06-Feb-17 21:49:19

Depends what you mean by 'proper bug'?

Sore throat/snotty blocked nose/ tickle cough/bit of a headache - no problem (but wouldn't run a marathon).

Anything more systemic - fever, fatigue, etc - I'd skip.

KeyserSophie Wed 08-Feb-17 04:26:59

I think it's about intensity- if you really go flat out it can make it worse because it can impact your immune system. If I'm coldy I do still run but I'd keep the effort level lower. I once did a 25k trail race with a lingering cough - it was ok during it, but the next day it came back twice as strong.

user1484226561 Wed 08-Feb-17 05:29:19

I've heard of a young man who died after going out for a jog with mild flu. Just be sensible

Thefitfatty Wed 08-Feb-17 05:35:24

From what I've read on fitness sites, if it's above the neck and not an infection (i.e. snotty cold) than exercise can help. If it's below the next (chesty cough, flu, infection) skip a few days till you feel better. Never exercise with a fever or an infection as you need your immune system to be working well.

chatnanny Wed 08-Feb-17 05:54:57

I agree with fitfatty it is really dangerous to do aerobic exercise with a raised temperature. I also know a young man who collapsed and had to be revived by paramedics when running a half marathon with a cold and slightly raised temp.

heron98 Wed 08-Feb-17 09:48:19

I would still exercise with a cold but never do if I have vomiting or diarrohea.

GeekLove Fri 10-Feb-17 11:04:59

Went running and qym with a hacking cough but that made it worse so I'm not exercising until next week. Felt OK when exercising but coughed all night and feel out of it now. So I'll wait it out until I feel fit again.

YourFace Sun 12-Feb-17 17:19:37

It's hard to decide if I'm just being a bit pathetic or sensible. I've carried on all week and it's not shifted so opting for rest now.

I go the gym a lot but no where near a marathon level of exerciser, so no chance of me doing one of those with a temp. TBH on the rare occasion I get temps, I'm usually properly ill and wouldn't consider exercising anyway.

BarchesterFlowers Sun 12-Feb-17 17:26:03

I don't exercise if I feel unwell with a cold or cough at all as I find that it just prolongs it and makes my asthma worse.

I have had a cough since October and have done absolutely nothing apart from a couple of bike rides on sunny days and walking the dog.

My asthma is cold air induced and I have had steroids three times since October half term.

I have got a long way back to my usual level of fitness which I need to achieve by June for an event. But I will do it, the minute it warms up a bit I will be fine.

I don't take many risks though - 2 weeks at 30 mins every other day, 2 weeks at 45 mins every other day, 2 weeks at an hour every other day and on and on.

I think you learn what works for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now