Talk

Advanced search

Best exercises to tone bottom and hips?

(12 Posts)
Winealot Sun 22-Jan-17 16:24:28

Can any of you lovely people help? After a miserable jeans shopping trip this afternoon, I've come to the conclusion that I need to find something to 'lift' this area!
I'm not overweight - 5'3" and about 9 stone. I run about 30k a week and do one boot camp type class once a week.
However, my bum is kind of square and flat, think love handles plus droop plus a bit saddle baggy!!!
What are the best exercises to see some improvement as quickly as possible - have a sunny holiday in 6 weeks which is giving me the impetus to do something.
Cant join a gym but have got the 30 day shred DVD, a kettle bell and some other handweights.
Anyone got any success stories?! Thank you so much.

ShutTheFuckUpBarbara Sun 22-Jan-17 16:28:31

"lifting" will require increasing the size of your glutes.
The best way to do this ime is with squats and deadlifts, with the heaviest weights you can handle safely.
How heavy are your kettlebells? How many reps of, say, squats could you do with them?

ShutTheFuckUpBarbara Sun 22-Jan-17 16:30:48

Posted too soon. If you can comfortably do 10-12 reps with them then they're too light, in which case one legged exercises like Bulgarian split squats will be better. Weighted lunges are another great one.

Make sure you eat plenty of protein and aim for 3/4 sessions a week.

Winealot Sun 22-Jan-17 23:14:41

Thank you for your advice. My weights are 5kg each and kettlebell just 3kg, but sounds like squats and lunges are the way to go!
Am going to try and do something along those lines everyday and just hope I see some improvement. X

ShutTheFuckUpBarbara Mon 23-Jan-17 10:52:39

Just thought of another one : weighted glute bridges

Good luck!

MaidOfStars Mon 23-Jan-17 15:03:28

The best way to do this ime is with squats and deadlifts, with the heaviest weights you can handle safely
Came on to say exactly the same.

I've been running and playing a team sport for years. But I've not experienced such rapid improvement in my arse/legs/hips as when I started deadlifting/split squats. The change was quick and very satisfying.

However, your weights are too light for a really effective deadlift workout - at your height/weight/fitness (roughly similar to me when I started), you could probably lift over 30kg as as starting weight and expect very quick progression. Six months on, I'm closer to 70kg now (pushing for 140% of my body weight - 150% next target!).

So split squats is more reasonable for the weights you have - even body weight here is a decent start. One leg up behind you on the stairs or a bench, the other planted in squat position. Slowly lower your arse to the ground, hips level, core braced, until your front thigh is parallel to ground (make sure your knee doesn't move ahead of your foot), pause, then explosive movement up. Repeat for 10 either side. If it's easy with body weight, start carrying weights. For reference, assuming similar body shape/fitness again, I am up to 30 kg on each leg (I have to wear a weights vest because I can't carry 30 kg on my arms grin)

And agree with Barbara - if you're not struggling to get your 12th rep out, it's too easy. I move up a weight set when I can do 12 and still have another rep left.

See picture for split squats (although I do them with my back leg lower than that):

reader77 Mon 23-Jan-17 15:25:05

Kettle bell swings?

Winealot Mon 23-Jan-17 17:55:37

Wow, maidofstars, that's is impressive! I don't think there is any way i could lift 30kg, at the boot camp I go to I struggle to lift a 9kg kettle bell!
I have today ordered an 8kg one, so will start with that and see how I get on.
Thanks to all for your tips.

MaidOfStars Mon 23-Jan-17 18:39:18

that's is impressive
IIRC, Barbara is more impressive grin

I struggle to lift a 9kg kettle bell
That all depends on what lift you're doing. A deadlift is a massive compound exercise of your biggest muscle groups - lower back, arse, legs. You can lift 9kg on a deadlift, trust me.

On a split squat, sure, on top of your body weight, it might test you at first. I started with body weight split squats, then moved up with various kettlebells (one weight only, held on same side as front leg). You can try holding the weight in a variety of positions to see what's comfortable. Some people will split squat with their arm long and the weight low (as the picture I posted upthread). I do it with the weight in a rack position (see picture in this post) - elbow bent, fingers to collar bone. Once it's up there, it's easy to hold. But I max out at 20 kg, even though my legs are strong enough to keep squatting, hence the addition of a weight vest. That adds 20 kg spread all over my upper body, so no extra stress on my arm.

ShutTheFuckUpBarbara Tue 24-Jan-17 09:13:41

You should be able to deadlift or swing 8kg easy.

Squats and split squats will be a bit more challenging at first, but you'll be amazed at how quickly your body adapts to the weight. Muscles are designed to respond to heavy weights by getting stronger, and they're pretty good at it especially when you first start with weights.

Up until about a year ago, I hadn't lifted anything heavier than 10kg (and I was nowhere near your fitness level, couldn't run to catch a bus). I started powerlifting in Dec 2015, and now I can do swings with a 32kg kettlebell for sets of 15 reps, I can deadlift 85kg, squat 75kg, and bench 40kg.

These are not impressive numbers from a powerlifting perspective, but it gives you an idea of what is achievable in just a few months.

If an unfit woman in her mid late thirties can get there, you certainly can (and my bum is definitely very pert and round these days grin)

misscph1973 Tue 24-Jan-17 09:44:19

While you wait for the heavier weight to arrive, you can start with air squats. That's what I do when I haven't go time to lift weights. Yesterday I did 3 x 20 air squats while cooking dinner.

I have never heard of split squats before, I am so starting that!

ShutTheFuckUpBarbara Tue 24-Jan-17 11:10:08

Yesterday I did 3 x 20 air squats while cooking dinner

I do box squats on the toilet at work grinblush (lid down, obv)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now