Talk

Advanced search

Cycling shoes for spinning classes

(4 Posts)
AwakeCantSleep Sat 21-Jan-17 20:22:38

I have recently taken up spinning at the gym. I go to 2 to 3 classes a week (classes are 1h long). Apart from the fact that I am nearly dying of exhaustion every time I'm quite enjoying it smile

The instructor today told me that cycling shoes that click onto the pedals make a huge difference. I often notice other people wearing them in class.

Is it worth getting a pair? I've had a quick look online and now I'm very confused. There appear to be different systems, and the shoes don't come with the cleats? It all seems very complicated. As an added complication, I have narrow feet with especially narrow heels.

How do I know which type of shoes, type of cleat etc to get? Do I need bolts?! Any recommendations of brands that have a narrow fit? TIA smile

yeOldeTrout Sat 21-Jan-17 23:04:46

yeah the cleats typically come with the pedals (you obv. don't need the pedals).

You can buy used cleats online, often. Or in a bike shop (bigger Halfords might sell them, even).

SPDs are the system used in spin classes - you may as well just buy the cheapest shoes & cleats for your needs. Wiggle would be good, or support your local bike shop. My guess is you want someone to fit the cleats on for you, so that would mean ideally ask your local bike shop to help. With an allen key you can still adjust the cleats later if required.

AwakeCantSleep Sun 22-Jan-17 08:18:42

Thank you! Very informative. So SPD is what I need to ask for. There is a large Halfords near the gym I go to. Might pop in there today after yoga class. I would definitely want someone who knows what they are doing to fit the cleats.

Blacksox Sun 22-Jan-17 08:31:18

Exactly what yeoldetrout said.

I bought quite cheap, narrow cycling shoes (Muddy Fox) and SPD cleats and then got someone in a cycling shop to fit them for me.

It's so much better to spin with cleats. Your foot will always be in the right position and you get a much more efficient transfer of power. Plus they're so light!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now