Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong on the treadmill?

(5 Posts)
MadamWillYouTalk Thu 19-Jan-17 09:56:58

I went to the gym last night, for the first time ever - previous exercise has been swimming and dance DVDs (both sadly lapsed).

It went quite well, I had a shot on the exercise bike, the rowing machine, and the cross trainer (nearly got flung off the last when I paused for a breath not realising that it... wouldn't blush but got into a good rhythm eventually).

Then I went on the treadmill for a walk to finish, and oh, my, god. I morphed into the most uncoordinated thing ever. I had to hang on to the bars the whole time - as soon as I let go I would wobble, and veer off to one side or the other. I thought it would be the easiest bit - I swear I can actually walk in a straight line!

I'm definitely going to keep going back, but does anyone have any tips so that I don't end up falling off? It's a small residents-only gym, so no staff, just machines.

mistermagpie Thu 19-Jan-17 10:02:03

Haha, no advice but I'm the same! I run (outdoors) a lot and am pretty fit generally, so it's nothing to do with that, but I had to run on a treadmill for the first time a couple of months ago as part of a physio assessment and was just like you. I couldn't get into a rhythm and kept feeling like I was going to fall off. the physio eventually said 'you're not really a nutural on the treadmill are you?' and let me do the assessment outside.

No idea what the problem is, but for me I think it's the fact that the ground isn't supposed to move and my brain can't adapt to it!

MadamWillYouTalk Thu 19-Jan-17 13:06:23

At least I know I'm not the only one grin

Fishlaar Thu 19-Jan-17 16:47:48

I've been going to the gym for a couple of months now. At first if I did anything on the treadmill other than look straight ahead while going at snail pace I'd be all over the place which was most embarrassing but thankfully I'm much better now.

I'd say to take it easy for a start and go slow until you get used to it and then slowly increase the speed and incline over a couple of weeks. If I had tried my current comfortable speed on day one I would have instantly been thrown off. grin

MadamWillYouTalk Thu 19-Jan-17 22:07:02

Hopefully it's a matter of practice and perseverance then. Thanks, that's encouraging (might just avoid the gym at busy times in the meantime though wink).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now