Talk

Advanced search

Rest days - How important are they?

(7 Posts)
queenofthemountains Wed 18-Jan-17 19:40:54

I average an hour of exercise every day, a mix of bodypump, swimming, cycling, Pilate's and dance.

Is a rest day really important and why?

I could understand it if I was running miles on end but I'm not, even when I cycle I only do it for an hour, though it is really hilly where I live.

I'm just not sure I need a rest day and I can't find the answer from Google.

Any wise words would be very much appreciated, thank you.

sniffle12 Thu 19-Jan-17 23:46:15

I think if you regularly find you're pulling muscles (even slightly) or feel stiff or painful after a workout, you need the rest days to allow your body to repair. I read that the body will direct fluid to damaged muscles (even just micro-tears to muscles) which can make them slightly swollen and therefore less toned from the outside - so constantly having even minor muscle damage can actually cover up the muscle definition you're working hard to achieve.

So I guess it depends how hard you're going and if you ever feel stiff or sore afterwards. If you feel like you just breeze through it every day and feel great after then maybe it's not needed!

EssCee Fri 20-Jan-17 14:08:20

If you're working different muscles, working at different intensities, it might be less important (than, say, someone who is powerlifting or long distance running on consecutive days). Listen to your own body though. I think it's prob easy to overdo it, when you love exercising!

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Fri 20-Jan-17 17:29:47

Swimming and pilates could be sufficiently restful to count as active rest. You're got a good varied programme which will help reduce injury risk.

Do you get injuries/ tiredness/ muscle soreness which could be symptoms of over doing it.

queenofthemountains Sun 22-Jan-17 19:26:17

Thank you for your replies.

I rarely get injuries, my muscles ache after one Pilate's instructor ( she is brilliant) but not the others.

I think I'll just keep going everyday and if I feel rubbish I'll not bother that day.

I'm really missing cycling at the moment as its way to icy and scary down the back lanes.

Thank you, all.

blowmybarnacles Sun 22-Jan-17 19:33:12

Wonder if Olympic athletes have rest days?! You could tweet one and ask. I think its something to do with you wear the muscle out and then in rest, it repairs and that is how they build up by that continuous process.

MaidOfStars Mon 23-Jan-17 15:47:19

On my rest days, it is recommended (by my PT) that I swim or do yoga (I do neither). So I reckon you're OK.

I know when I've been overdoing it - I am so spaced out and weak.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now