Talk

Advanced search

What the hell do I do next? Charity 5k organisation

(8 Posts)
Soon2bC Wed 11-Jan-17 14:07:25

Firstly, I am shocked I am in the exercise topic! However, I will recover eventually especially if anyone can help.
The company I work for is partnering CLIC Sargent and supporting fund raising etc for the next 2 years. This one is a charity close to my heart having lost a very young niece to cancer so I am keen to help.
In my excitement I have decided to organise a 5k fun run in a local park as we live too far from the organised events.
I have spoken to the park and they have given me permission to hold it there and I have spoken to our insurance and they have confirmed they have cover.
I am forming a checklist of things I need to do / consider but am starting to flounder. So far I have
-venue
-approx date
-map
-marshals
-medals
-race numbers
-signage
-water

My OH runs half marathons etc so I have been to quite a few and she has mentioned timings.....I have no funds to pay for chip timing and wouldn't know how to start organising this part

I am missing loads I am sure (I've been looking at this for 2 days so is all new) has anyone set anything up like this before who can give me advice?

KeyserSophie Thu 12-Jan-17 08:21:37

I wouldnt bother with chip timing for a 5k fun run, espcially if you're not going to accurately measure the course (which you dont need to for fun runs). If people want a time they can go to Park run. Keep the costs as low as possible because people probably wont pay that much to enter.

One thing to consider is how are you going to make the donation to CLIC-are you including a donation in the entry fee or are you relying on people getting sponsorship? I would be mega wary of the latter approach as most people wont do it.

Have you considered capacity- i.e. how many people can you have before you need to either stagger the start or have massive bottlenecks?

Will you allow buggies and dogs?

Weatherforecaster Mon 16-Jan-17 07:00:00

First aid

Weatherforecaster Mon 16-Jan-17 07:00:35

Advertising

The I can't remember what they charge, but you can contact St John Ambulance for first aid representation and they're very good.

BikeRunSki Mon 16-Jan-17 07:04:36

Start and Finish banners.

AllPowerfulLizardPerson Mon 16-Jan-17 07:22:21

Work out the way people are going to enter, and how you will take record of entries to the event.

See if you can have a table and chair so a marshall can sit down whilst people register and get their numbers if it's at all likely the field will be large.

NewIdeasToday Mon 16-Jan-17 07:30:12

Toilets??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now