Talk

Advanced search

Race entry prices

(7 Posts)
Lovelybangers Sun 08-Jan-17 11:40:12

I have done a few running races/events over recent years. Some 10K and a couple of half marathons.

I am running Leeds Half in May - and it cost £34 (or thereabouts).

Was just looking at the Great North Run and it's £54!

Why so expensive ?

natwebb79 Sun 08-Jan-17 18:03:28

I think sometimes it's due to the cost of closing roads/security etc. The Great North Run is massive in the running calendar so probably costs a fair bit more to put on.

KeyserSophie Mon 09-Jan-17 07:02:40

The things that most impact race pricing are

- Do they need to close roads and for how long?
- Do they need the police to attend (has to be paid for)?
- Do they need their own portaloos/ baggage tents etc. or can they use existing infrastructure?
- Do they need to transport bags to the end (cheaper to run a circuit race)
- Complexity of chip timing (start and finish, finish only, checkpoint timing)
- Is there an expo/ after party? and (frankly)
- Is there high demand and on that basis will there be enough people who are prepared to pay it.

I know the GNR is "the" half but personally I'm not a fan. It's way too busy and slow at the start and an arse to get away from the finish.

Pippioddstocking Mon 09-Jan-17 07:10:31

There are loads of cheaper runs out there. I have my mental limit on how much I am prepared to pay . No more than 25 for a half or 35 for a full ( unless it is somewhere or something extra special that I am just desperate to run ) .
I decided on this after doing a ratrace event three years ago that cost 220 pounds. It was certainly not worth it!
I'm running in a five day staged event later this year which is £125 and includes breakfast and evening meal for 5 days and a place to pitch my tent.
Search runners world " events" section and you will find loads of cheaper runs.

runpenrun Mon 09-Jan-17 07:18:36

It depends what you want as a reward. Big name races (GNR) cost more and so do races wother finishers medals and T-shirts
I find off-road races are cheaper and fell races cheaper still (most are pay on the day £6). Howevery, no finishing rewards just the satisfaction of completing a prettyear tough course.
Finally, my son and I do some of the LDWA races, about £8, certificate and badge for finishing and often food. LDWA are self-navigation off-road. You can do 4 marathons/marathons for the price of 1 GORDAN.
Have fun with your chosen races.

runpenrun Mon 09-Jan-17 07:19:11

Arghhhhhh not GORDAN - GNR

Lovelybangers Mon 09-Jan-17 07:37:52

Ah - Yes, I suppose there are a lot of associated costs.

I didn't sign up in the end anyway.

Thanks for all replies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now