Talk

Advanced search

What's the exercise for me?

(21 Posts)
AnaMaleka Thu 05-Jan-17 12:39:15

I'm sure there must be something for me but I can't think what.

I used to be very fit and LOVED high impact aerobics (my knees were fine). I was the only one who could ever keep up when it gone come sanely fast too. I also loved skipping. I'm basically liked jumping around to high energy music.

I also did a fair amount of weight training but not to body building levels.

I started getting into cross fit in the early days (P90x).

I always wanted to run marathons, but could never manage more than 6 weeks of running without back problems starting.

I used to dance (social partner dancing) 10+ hours a week.

Liked roller blading and ice skating (just for fun, nothing serious).

Like(d) swimming but can't do it because it ruins my hair if I keep it up and I hate the whole hair drying issue afterwards (curly hair).

But now I'm 10kg overweight, have two kids and for five years haven't been able to do any sports. I'm not able to do any jumping at all or impact like running I also shouldn't do anything where I could get a large blow to the head (falling over ice skating for example).

So what can I do?!!!

There is yoga and Pilates around, but I don't get the high from it that I did from the hi energy workouts (I MISS jumping!).

I would like to do something where I feel a progression and it's measurable, like martial arts belts, but I really don't think I have the discipline for that (got thrown out of karate because I couldn't stop laughing).

I already cycle a lot instead of driving.

So, measurable, gentlish, endorphin-releasing and fun? Does it exist?!

KatharinaRosalie Thu 05-Jan-17 16:29:03

Bodypump is decent exercise without jumping, have you tried?

RJnomore1 Thu 05-Jan-17 16:34:04

Boxercise?

Do you mind if I ask why you can't jump as obviously you really love that type of thing.

Acornantics Thu 05-Jan-17 16:37:39

Spinning is great, low impact, high energy, hugely endorphin-releasey, and as challenging as you want it to be. Swimming obviously, but I'm with you in the curly hair chaos it causes!

As pp said, body pump is great, and I love combat too, there are always options if you don't want to/can't stress the knees or hips for whatever reason.

KittyandTeal Thu 05-Jan-17 16:46:11

How about boogie bounce? It very jumpy but surprisingly low impact.

I did a few weeks before I started my training and loved it. I'd still do it if I had time

RunningjustasfastasIcan99 Thu 05-Jan-17 16:48:08

Spinning. Am sure you'd love it given everything you've said. X

AnaMaleka Thu 05-Jan-17 17:27:58

Thanks! I can't jump firstly because of back issues and secondly a high risk of a prolapse. I don't have one, but at high risk of one developing so been advised by several professionals not to jump/run. Grr, but lovely kids.

Boogie bounce is exactly the sort of thing I used to love, and still would (especially the extreme version), but there is simply no way anymore. sad

Spinning would be good. Used to enjoy it and had kind of forgotten it.

And body pump I did briefly before. That with spinning would likely be a good combo. Thanks!!

KittyandTeal Thu 05-Jan-17 18:18:14

Ah, I see, sorry I had knee problems in my head for some reason

I used to do pump, that was fun. I don't get endorphin rush from yoga but it goes leave me feeling blissed out which I love too

SillyMummyJan Thu 05-Jan-17 22:02:13

Burpees at home work really well for me. Do 10 then rest for a minute then 10 and rest and so on. Beleive me, you will be knackered after 5 minutes!

Gooseberryfools Thu 05-Jan-17 22:10:51

This. Rebounding but at home. Low impact and great for fitness.

www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/wellbeing/fitness/11470977/Rebounding-how-to-bounce-your-way-to-fitness.html

TweedAddict Thu 05-Jan-17 22:20:09

I was very similar to you, but I've discovered road biking, I love it. The amount of miles you cover is really surprising, you push yourself up hills, see how fast you can down them. I use an app that you can join challenges too see how far you can go in a month, or over a certain bit of road. As it uses gps who ever has cycled that bit gets logged, and you can race against them. Plus husband and son come along.

Suzietwo Thu 05-Jan-17 22:22:46

Kettlebells

AnaMaleka Thu 05-Jan-17 22:31:06

Thanks. It seems the bike's the way, although burpees are a good idea too if I avoid the jump.

Rebounding is still counted as jumping. Maybe best way to explain it is always need to have one foot in the floor. I could speed walk (there's a thought!) but not jog.

Gooseberryfools Thu 05-Jan-17 22:31:29

Bellicon is the best rebounder you can buy.

SinglePringle Thu 05-Jan-17 22:38:29

Spinning and Pilates fan here. Spinning gives me the hot, sweaty mess thing that I love. Where in the country are you? Near a city? There's a whole new breed of spinning classes - dark lights, everyone on the same beat, very fast, LOUD music. Look up Sould Cycle, Boom Cycle or Psycle. They're London based but you should find similar around the country. It's ace!

As for Pilates - you get toning and bliss. Try frame or bed based for an intense, bloody painful and bloody difficult workout!

Marmitelover55 Thu 05-Jan-17 22:38:42

Nordic walking - I'm really enjoying it and using the poles means you get an all over work out - especially your core!

SinglePringle Thu 05-Jan-17 22:39:00

*Soul Cycle

Gooseberryfools Fri 06-Jan-17 06:58:44

Walking. Start low key but eventually do hills as quickly as you can. Maybe an hour a day?

Second cycling. Spinning is more intense but road cycling is better visually.

MelanieCheeks Fri 06-Jan-17 07:35:21

Social dancing! I'd recommend Scottish Country dancing, but there's lots of others. Whilst it's primarily a fun activity, there are medal tests and achievement awards you can work towards.

AnaMaleka Fri 06-Jan-17 07:38:06

Live Scottish country dancing - but there's a lot of skipping around which I can't do anymore.

Wish I'd been told how much of an impact birth was going to have on my body!!!

QuiltedAloeVera Fri 06-Jan-17 07:39:55

Martial arts clubs vary in their level of formality - if you enjoyed karate then have a look at what else is in your area - or maybe just a different karate club.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now