Talk

Advanced search

Running - what is realistic?

(5 Posts)
randomsabreuse Thu 05-Jan-17 11:03:47

I'm definitely someone who needs an "aim" so I can get off my behind and get on with exercise. I have a vague aim of a trail half or major mud run - (tough mudder/rock solid type thing) in the Autumn.

I feel like I need closer aims to concentrate the mind and get me out for a run when it's damp and dreary. So trying to plan the first few months of 2017...

How many races are sensible in a given month? No more than 10k until I've lost 10kg. All would be trail or mud runs although my training is a mixture including tarmac as necessary. Will be doing some park runs as well.

Any advice on 10k improver plans much appreciated as well.

Thanks

R

mistermagpie Thu 05-Jan-17 11:09:26

It depends how fit you are now and how much running you already do.

I started back running in about October 2015 after having my son, did a 10k in the November (slowly!) carried on training a bit and then did 5 more 10k races in the May/June of 2016. I was training for a half marathob nut got pregnant again and can't run during pregnancy due to pelvic issues.

You can do a race every week in the summer months if you are willing to travel a bit, but for something longer like a half marathon I wouldn't recommend that little rest time.

randomsabreuse Thu 05-Jan-17 11:18:22

Thanks. I'm not horrendously unfit but not great - usually run 2-3 times a week but having a big push on daily exercise videos for January before settling into a more sensible regime when the mornings get lighter.

First (flat) park run managed consistent 6 min/km finishing in 30.08, phone app thinks I do about 6.30/km up to about 10k in training. Need to up speed and lose weight but suspect race aims will help that process...

Probably 2 in a month might be realistic around the rest of life, especially if not a mud run!

mistermagpie Thu 05-Jan-17 11:33:25

Ah so you're reasonably fit, you would be able to do a (tarmac) 10K race in less than an hour I reckon - trail or hill runs will be different obviously. My first 10k (Nov 2015) I was doing a parkrun in a little bit longer than you and finished in 59 minutes. By the time I did my last race on June 2016 I was at 50 minutes (parkrun time of 24), so that might give you an indication of how much you can progress on just 3 runs a week.

Race aims definitely help you progress, I did 4 races in 4 weeks in May and my times improved a lot. I have never been a big fan of speedwork but did try to incorporate one speed session a week into my training. The ideal for me was three runs a week, one long slow run, one parkrun and one speed session. Long slow runs are my favourite! I spoke to a few people who are more knowledgeable than me and was informed that if i kept upping my LSR distance incrementally I would be able to do a hlaf marathon easily after a few months.

randomsabreuse Fri 06-Jan-17 08:42:28

Thanks.

My major limit on upping distance is that I don't want the impact of longer runs until I lose that 10kg. Your progress sounds great - hope I can do as well!

Now hunting 10ks in the west midlands/north east Wales - I seem to be in a bit of a black hole and everything I see coincides with DH working. Will find something!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now