Talk

Advanced search

running and hip/groin pain.

(8 Posts)
wherehavealltheusernamesgone11 Tue 03-Jan-17 13:03:38

I'm wondering if anyone has had issues with this. I have been to see a physio about this in the summer, who said that it is due to my back (back doesn't hurt) and I've done/still do exercises that I was given to counteract my rolling in knee. Initially I ran through the pain, and ended up unable to walk for 24 hours. I was a bit worried it was a stress fracture, but physio said it was my back.

Whenever I start running/upping my distance the pain comes back, though not so I can't walk. I'm usually ok-ish when I'm running, it's afterwards that is the problem. I cannot afford any more physio. I'm assuming that the GP won't be interested as I can walk. I've replaced my road and trail shoes- most of my running is off road.

I'm getting really frustrated as it's been going on now for 7 months. I had to take 2 months off in summer as I was struggling to walk, and I took 3 weeks off over Christmas as I was starting to limp when walking. I was a fairly fit/reasonably fast runner but now I struggle to keep up with 'slow' people at my running club. I'm beginning to think that I'm going to have to just give up running, and the thought of that is filling me with dread. No-one else in my running club has had anything like this, so they are puzzled too. I'm wondering if anyone here has?

acornsandnuts Tue 03-Jan-17 13:13:53

I'm in recovery from hip surgery with previous similar symptoms.

It was extremely painful even to just sitting or walking.

I was diagnosed via X-ray for FAI basically hip impingement. Really straight forward surgery and recovery. It may be worthwhile checking out the symptoms with your GP.

acornsandnuts Tue 03-Jan-17 13:15:31

www.boneandjoint.org.uk/content/focus/overview-femoroacetabular-impingement

M0stlyHet Tue 03-Jan-17 13:34:58

I went to a physio with what I thought was a groin strain - turned out to be greater trochanteric pain syndrome which is indeed exacerbated by weak lower back muscles - mine are crap. Might be worth checking out to see whether the description matches any of your symptoms.

RunningHurts Tue 03-Jan-17 13:37:29

Sounds similar to pain I had a while ago. It was (according to Physio) a twisted pelvis. Due to muscles pulling out of alignment. But if manipulation by the Physio and some back muscle strengthening excessive seem to have fixed it.

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Tue 03-Jan-17 14:32:35

Osteopaths are good (although you've already mentioned the cost of physio), there's a lot of overlap with physio. They also use a range of techniques to activate problem areas.

What cross training do you do? Gentle strength work such as yoga/ pilates will help strengthen and balance the whole system.

Cherrymix Tue 03-Jan-17 16:57:59

wherehave - I might have something similar. It started as what I thought was piriformis syndrome but kind of moved around. So initially pain in back, then left hip and now have aching groin which hurts most when I stand up for long periods of time or at night when I lie on one side for a long time. I have hardly run for 3 months now but it still persists. Sometimes it hurts sitting down too - walking is ok.

I was given excercises to strengthen my glutes as the pysio thought that my running action was too kind of front of the leg focused rather than back of the leg focused (sorry can't remember all the technical stuff). I haven't done them much and am just about to start training for a HM so if you get anywhere with this I'd be interested.

wherehavealltheusernamesgone11 Tue 03-Jan-17 17:21:02

Thanks for your replies. Well I've ruled out what acorns and mostly have (running up hills is easy, down less so and it's on the inside of my leg). I do have a wonky pelvis runninghurts. And I do yoga at least once a week...currently doing 30 day shred, also do random single legged squats when I get a chance as that was the basis of what I was told to do. Maybe I should just carry on with working on strength for now and save up for a physio/osteopath!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now