Advanced search

Which Fitbit and are they a better buy than an Apple Watch

(21 Posts)
Philoslothy Sun 01-Jan-17 16:40:06

I want a fit bit for the following,:

Encourage somebody to do 10,000 steps
Track sleep
Track calories and encourage weight loss
Track and encourage other activity such as yoga, cycling and maybe the odd exercise class or gym session
Heartbeat

Money isn't the deciding factor but I don't want to waste money. Apple Watch seems a lot of money because it is apple?

I have looked at Fitbit surge, blaze and charge 2 but don't have a clue.

Philoslothy Sun 01-Jan-17 19:17:15

Anybody?

Blistory Sun 01-Jan-17 19:29:25

Fitbit IMO. It's better at tracking. The Apple Watch just doesn't track the same way and I find it demotivated me. The Fitbit app is great particularly if you add others to support and challenge you. The watch is also a bit big and clunky and needs charged overnight so not good at sleep tracking. Fitbits just work because they only track fitness. Apple Watch is great but does loads of things okay but not great.

Philoslothy Sun 01-Jan-17 19:32:53

Thanks, blistory- that was my gut feeling too. Any suggestions on which Fitbit?

ruthsmumkath Sun 01-Jan-17 19:33:42

I love my Apple Watch - no good for sleep - it needs charging everyday.

My friend loves her Fitbit - charged every 2 weeks - can monitor sleep patterns

Another friend had a 'pretend' fit bit from Aldi and loves that - more like the Fitbit.

Ilovewillow Sun 01-Jan-17 19:34:19

Watching (excuse the pun) with interest!

thewookieswife Sun 01-Jan-17 19:39:03

I've been using Fitbit products for a few years - started with the zip ( great as not visible, clipped it in my bra ) that's great but doesn't do the sleep stuff etc - went on to charge HR - great ! Just upgraded that to charge 2 at Christmas - even better !!
Deffo recommend the charge 2 for value and as a good gadget !

Philoslothy Sun 01-Jan-17 19:39:49

Thanks, I was impressed by the charge 2 as well

Blacksheep78 Sun 01-Jan-17 19:44:22

Watching with interest. Do any of them track horse riding?

DailyFail1 Sun 01-Jan-17 19:46:55

The new Fitbit blaze is only 20 more but can be worn as a fairly stylish smart watch too, and can be connected to your mobile for GPS during runs. Thats what I opted for

SimileMilly Sun 01-Jan-17 19:48:29

I got a fitbit blaze with christmas money after toying with an apple watch for ages. So far I love it and it ticks all the above boxes you were looking for!

bellabelly Sun 01-Jan-17 19:49:22

I have been very happy with my Fitbit flex. The new flex 2 apparently tracks swimming so you don't have to enter swimming activity manually.

IDoAllMyOwnStunts Sun 01-Jan-17 19:52:08

I have a charge HR and love it. It tracks calories, steps, exercise, sleep, heart rate. I lost 3 stone and it helps keep me motivated to keep the weight off and moving more.

I have a horse and if I wear it to ride in it thinks I'm on a bike. It also counts the horses footsteps, so I go for a quick ride and it counts 10,000 or so steps. So I take it off when I ride and log the riding manually as exercise which makes it more of an accurate reading.

Philoslothy Sun 01-Jan-17 19:53:56

I thought the I thought the charge 2 also linked with your phone's GPS.

I am not sure if she will like the look of the blaze watch

DailyFail1 Sun 01-Jan-17 20:44:05

I think the charge hr has a weaker gps strength from the reviews I've seen. The link below is to someone who has done a full on comparison
m.youtube.com/watch?v=TfBIpnojSXw

To be honest from a visual standpoint they are both fairly bulky for small framed women. I have small wrists (6 inch) & bought blaze because it looked smarter for work (charge HR looked like a wristband).

100milesanhour Sun 01-Jan-17 21:03:21

I've got a Fitbit charge 2 and it's great. Tracks my sleeps, calories, sends me reminders to do my 10000 steps. Needs charging every few days.

thewookieswife Sun 01-Jan-17 21:37:41

I use a treadmill so don't use the gps function ... but it is available with the charge 2 I believe.
You can get 'prettier ' straps for the charge 2 as well - if you want to dress it up a little !

TheFairyCaravan Sun 01-Jan-17 21:42:24

I got DH the Fitbit Surge for Christmas. He loves it. He wears it all the time, it's tracked when he's been out for a bike ride. He bores me rigid with all his stats on a daily basis.

DS1 is fitness mad. He's getting a Sunnto, he says they're much better than a Fitbit.

SilverClaire Sun 01-Jan-17 22:14:48

I fancy trying this...

http://www.asos.com/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=7403979

it looks really nice too

Philoslothy Sun 01-Jan-17 22:16:28

Hadn't even seen a surge- now I have more choice grin

Blacksheep78 Mon 02-Jan-17 11:09:56

Thanks IDo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now