Talk

Advanced search

Exercise class ideas for unfit & uncordinated!

(16 Posts)
mumstaxi2 Fri 30-Dec-16 20:59:12

Just that really. I won a month free leisure centre membership in a raffle and really want to make good use of it - and will join after that if I really get going. I need to lose about 2 stone which I've lost in the past with SW but I'd like to try both exercise and healthy eating this time. I'm hopelessly uncordinated and also worried I'll turn red and flake out after the first 5 minutes. If I just go to the the gym I don't think I'll stay focused. The leisure centre has a huge range of classes but not really sure where to start. I wondered about aqua aerobics as surely the water will slow the pace? Any suggestions /tips of where to start would be really appreciated.

Tartle Fri 30-Dec-16 21:00:47

Yeah try aqua. It's slower and people can't really see your legs so it doesn't matter so much if you go the wrong way.

What are the other class options? Maybe yoga or Pilates if they have beginners?

I really like aqua aerobics. The water hides a multitude of sins grin

What else is on the timetable?

A lot will depend on the instructors. Good ones will make you feel confident whatever the class.

TheBadgersMadeMeDoIt Fri 30-Dec-16 21:05:25

Another vote for aqua fit. It's as hard or as easy as you want it to be...and you don't get sweaty.

And of course nobody can see you from the neck down so it's great if you're a bit self-conscious.

mumstaxi2 Fri 30-Dec-16 22:05:37

Thanks for advice about aqua fit. I've now found a description of all the classes. There are three Pilates - Pilates/Back Care Pilates, Clinical Pilates and Fitness Pilates. I'll check but it looks like either of the first two would be best. There are lots of more intense Bodypump and spinning type classes which I think I'll avoid for the moment. I'm especially keen to build up my back strength as whilst I don't get back ache it does feel very weak as if I could get problems in the future - I'm 47 and feeling I need to start taking serious preventative action now! If I am for aqua fit and Pilates each week that should hopefully be a start..

Daisy03 Sat 31-Dec-16 13:21:07

I wouldn't rule out body pump as a beginner, you don't need any coordination, and the class is only as hard as you want it to be. You can start with light weights and progress when you start finding it easy. It's very effective.
And spin is a great calorie burner if you want to lose weight, again no coordination and you only need to work to your own level, i.e. You decide how high to turn up the resistance

Tartle Mon 02-Jan-17 20:42:32

Yeah give pump a try. It's my favourite class and very manageable as you decide on the weights. It's good to do some strength training as well.

ivykaty44 Mon 02-Jan-17 20:45:56

Spin

Don't be put off by what others are doing. Book yourself on a class and go at your own pace and crank the lever as hard as you want to, don't worry about what's others are doing.

Keep doing the spin and just push yourself a but harder each time.

It's great as you don't need to be coordinated and it's to music.

Take a small towel, water & keep smiling

ivykaty44 Mon 02-Jan-17 20:48:35

Oh and a spin class is great for high intensity work out which is one of the biggest uses of calories...600 a class if you really put the effort in and who cares if your red in the face

sparkler10 Mon 02-Jan-17 20:50:30

Pump or something like legs, bums, tums and Pilates. To be honest, people are generally concentrating on their own stuff and really not taking too much notice of what anyone else is doing. In spin you can set the resistance to suit your level and nobody knows. Enjoy! I was the same as you and have never looked back. Getting into exercise after joining SW were two of the best decisions of my life.

Shenanagins Mon 02-Jan-17 20:56:07

In addition to body pump and spin look out for a hiit class. As with the other two it requires no coordination and you go at a pace suited for you.

HalleLouja Mon 02-Jan-17 20:56:22

I was going to suggest a hiit class. No need to be coordinated and you can push yourself as hard as you want to.

UnlikelyRunner Mon 02-Jan-17 21:02:01

I agree with HIIT, pump and spinning. I am uncoordinated and always go beetroot. But no-one is looking at anyone else apart from in mutual support. I bet there are quite a few like me who take their glasses off to exercise and therefore can't see beyond their own feet like me!

Shenanagins Mon 02-Jan-17 21:04:55

Please don't be put off by people who are obviously very fit, they really don't care how you look, all they care about is pushing themselves to get the best out of the workout.

JemimaMuddledUp Sat 07-Jan-17 14:21:28

Aquafit is great - you are chest deep in water so nobody can see if you do it "wrong". I've just signed up for this term again, I love it.

thecapitalsunited Sat 07-Jan-17 15:42:59

I'm knocking on 18 stone and I do spin and have done body pump. Both are great classes and don't require any co-ordination.

With spin I could barely keep up when I started but no one except you knows how much resistance you've got on your bike plus if you are fat the extra body weight helps you when standing up! I love spin and my cardiovascular health has improved no end even if diet issues mean I haven't actually lost any weight in the 2 years I've been doing it.

When I did body pump the instructors were quite clear about starting with light weights and working up. It was a fun class and everybody was really supportive. I moved onto lifting free weights after doing pump because I enjoyed the lifting and feeling strong so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now