Talk

Advanced search

First time barcode scanning at parkrun. any tips?

(7 Posts)
megletthesecond Thu 29-Dec-16 21:58:48

I've been to enough parkruns to know the drill but this week is first time scanning barcodes.

I know they'll talk me through it before the run starts but has anyone else done it? It seems like I just have to blip them in the right order and don't let them walk off home with their finishing token?

CMOTDibbler Fri 30-Dec-16 20:29:22

Remember its Athlete, Barcode. And the wristbands are a beggar to scan. Wear a coat with a big pocket so you can drop the tokens in as you scan them otherwise you end up juggling. But thats about it!

JemimaMuddledUp Fri 30-Dec-16 20:37:43

Person then position. If they've forgotten their barcode you don't scan the position.

We have a metal holder on the clipboard to put the position tokens back in order, which is handy.

If the scanner doesn't beep, don't panic. Sometimes holding it further away from the barcode helps. And if it is a chilly morning keep the scanner warm between the start and finisher as it can play up if it gets too cold.

Good luck!

JemimaMuddledUp Fri 30-Dec-16 20:38:08

*first finisher

megletthesecond Fri 30-Dec-16 23:13:33

Thank you!

Yes, I have a coat with big pockets.

Will remember athlete, barcode. A, B.

I've never seen the first people across the line before. It'll be nice to put some names to faces.

keeprunninguphill Fri 30-Dec-16 23:21:02

And say their name if you can read it on their barcode- gives it the personal touch. Like scanning, but prefer handing out finish tokens!

megletthesecond Sun 01-Jan-17 15:14:16

I'm pleased to report it went smoothly.

Fairly quiet today so the queues were short and the 'head' barcode volunteer let me do the first person through so I could practice while it was quiet. Only handful without barcodes and only a couple that didn't work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now