Talk

Advanced search

Running - why is it so hard for me

(12 Posts)
NotAnotherUserName1234 Sat 24-Dec-16 20:33:20

Posting on the off-chance that it's not just me that's 40 and unfit. I can shuffle my way round 5k in 30 minutes but its an effort, there is no 'flat out' running.

I'm hoping to run a half marathon in 12 weeks time but with 5k being such hard work it seems a pretty far fetched dream right now.

I

eurochick Sat 24-Dec-16 20:45:25

That sounds fine to me. Hiit is good for building stamina.

Tell us your running history. How long have you been running? What other exercise do you do?

MotherFuckingChainsaw Sat 24-Dec-16 20:47:59

Sounds like you are running too fast...?

BikeRunSki Sat 24-Dec-16 20:49:07

Sounds ok.
Have you got properly fitted, proper running shoes?

fruitpastille Sat 24-Dec-16 20:53:54

I've never managed to get 5k in less than 35 mins! This is over a couple of years with various patches where I fall by the wayside and then have to start all over again. I can't say I've ever enjoyed it either - well apart from the satisfied feeling when it is finished. Running just always seems hard work to me. I have some friends to go with but they are slower than me...

KittyandTeal Sat 24-Dec-16 20:57:30

5k in 30mins is pretty quick I think. I generally run it in 31mins.

To run distance you need to slow right down. Long runs at a pace where you can happily hold a conversation (apart from maybe going up hill) a recovery run which is shorter and slightly quicker and then some speed work, like intervals or hills. Those will naturally increase your pace.

Do that has increased my steady pace from 11.15min/miles to 10.30m/m.

Honestly, the nothing to 5k is way harder than 5k to half marathon.

Do you have a training plan?

I was running 5-10k this time last year. About twice a week. I just did my first half marathon and I start training for London marathon in a few days! If I can do it anyone can.

lljkk Sat 24-Dec-16 21:45:20

I read here that before you get on a 12 week training regime to do a half-M, you should already be used to running 5 miles & running min. 15 miles/week as regular thing.

The broom wagon is likely to be 2h 30min or greater, at least, & you are already within that pace.

BikeRunSki Sat 24-Dec-16 23:19:57

Honestly, the nothing to 5k is way harder than 5k to half marathon.

This.

DoosyFartlek Sat 24-Dec-16 23:25:04

How often are you running at the moment?

Aim to run 4 times a week and mix it up. Something like

Monday - Hilly slow jog for 45 mins.

Wednesday - fartleks with short speedy bits for 20 minutes.

Friday - 5 k As fast as you can

Saturday - elongated slow run. So 6 miles for 2 Saturdays, 7 miles for next 2 Saturdays, 8 miles for following 2 saturdays, 9 miles for next two saturdays, 10 miles for last two saturdays,

Then stop running a week before the half marathon and just do a couple of slow mid week two milers

MotherFuckingChainsaw Sat 24-Dec-16 23:43:55

Honestly, the nothing to 5k is way harder than 5k to half marathon

Yes, strongly agree with that. And as others have said 5k in 30 mins is pretty damn good. I've run a few half marathons and still can't do that.

lljkk Sun 25-Dec-16 11:43:01

yeah I know I've moaned about this before... but that routine where they say you basically only run 30-45 minutes 2-3x in the week but every Saturday do a longer & longer run up to 2 hours while still no more than 45 min. run on any other day... it would never work for me. I think I sit somewhere different from most people on the curve plotting "extra effort" on y-axis on "extra distance" for the x-axis -- my margins are still extremely steeper than most everyone else's. There's a theory that as long as you have a baseline to do 30 minutes that you can use that like maintenance to keep springing to longer & longer distances just once a week, but I'm not like that. My routine baseline to spring to half-M distances for longest run must be at least 75 minutes, I reckon.

Obviously, OP won't know if they don't try. But don't feel bad if you find you need to adjust the suggested routines for how your body works. There's no shame in being different.

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Tue 27-Dec-16 00:41:30

HM pace will be slower than 5k pace. A 30 min 5k is slightly faster than average for a woman. Most women completing C25k will not make 5k in the 30 min timer.

Have a look at the Galloway method which alternates running and walking. It's a lower impact way of building stamina.

I have a parkrun PB of 28 min something, but running solo, I tend to be about 35 mins.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now