Talk

Advanced search

Running

(21 Posts)
exercisegirl Tue 20-Dec-16 19:37:06

How do you motivate yourself to go running? Do you have a particular time of day when you prefer to exercise?

mumsnitter Tue 20-Dec-16 20:59:10

Hi, I run at all times but running with a group really motivates me. I push myself in the group runs but cut myself some slack when I run alone. Build up some nice running memories and you will return smile

mumsnitter Tue 20-Dec-16 21:00:24

Also after work is a good time then not home and out again which would be a bit of a faff

emummy Wed 21-Dec-16 07:24:51

I am a SAHM so go after the school run during the week, and first thing at weekends. During the holidays ds is always up by 7 so I have breakfast with him and go an hour later. I find it harder to go later in the day.

lovelearning Wed 21-Dec-16 07:31:13

Don't run.

Walk.

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/apr/05/brisk-walk-healthier-running-scientists

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 21-Dec-16 07:41:31

I run in the mornings, I find I'm just too tired in the evenings.

But the main thing is running in a group or with a friend. I love it. So much easier than running by myself.

IllBeAtTheBarIfYouNeedMe Wed 21-Dec-16 07:54:26

I go at all times but I much prefer first thing. I'm more likely to put it off if I don't get it over and done with. I motivate myself by telling myself that the old saying that putting on your trainers and getting out of the door is the hardest part of a run as usually it really is.

KittyandTeal Wed 21-Dec-16 08:56:34

I have set days while dd1 is at preschool. Drop her and run/drive to a run spot from there.

It's harder now she's off so I'm running whenever I can, usually getting up early and going before the day starts properly.

I'm on a break between training and I'm enjoying the flexibility. Come post Christmas I'll be set with the distance and days I need to run.

I find choosing cute running kit gets me motivated. It sounds really shallow but I find it easier putting on nice, jazzy stuff than plain black.

I also give myself a goal for that run (when it's not dictated by training) so the other day I ran 5k which is really short for me but challenged myself to do it as a progression run. Some days it'll be to hit a pace, be that fast or slow, some days the goal is simply to give myself head space, to appreciate nature, to not look at my watch as many times, to focus on form, to think carefully about when I need to fuel etc. Each run has at least one goal, not always distance or pace related. That way I get a sense of achievement (on bad days tbh the goal is to get round without walking, or to just get round!)

idontlikealdi Wed 21-Dec-16 09:02:19

As soon as I drop the kids at school 2 days a week when I work from home, and as soon as I wake up on one day at the weekend. If I don't do that I spend the whole day having an internal argument about whether to go or not and usually end up not going!

Shiningexample Wed 21-Dec-16 16:10:21

I just do it because I want to, same as with any other exercise, generally speaking I have a schedule of strength and cardio training which I've decided on and I stick to it.
If it's a running day I go running, if it's a lifting day I go to the gym

not doing it just isnt an option

Maxwellthecat Wed 21-Dec-16 16:14:32

I've learnt going for a run is easier than not going. If I don't run I feel worse crappy and if I run I feel amazing.
I run first thing and have breakfast after, the earlier I run the quicker I can have breakfast!

mudandmayhem01 Wed 21-Dec-16 16:21:29

I have a what's app group of all the people I know who go running I will message my intention to run and even if no one gets back to me, setting out my intention helps in some way. The other thing that helps me, ask yourself have ever been on a run which you regretted afterwards if the answer is no get your trainers on.

KatharinaRosalie Wed 21-Dec-16 16:22:30

In the winter - at lunchtime. We have a little running club with people from work, it's a lot easier to get up and go if you know other people are waiting. And it's light and warmer than in the mornings or evenings.

Shiningexample Wed 21-Dec-16 16:30:41

always be on the lookout for tricks and hacks that make exercise more rewarding and enjoyable, eg
an mp3 player with something that you enjoy listening to
sort of exercise tracker with an app so you can see your progress
if you're into racing then train for a race
if you're not just run slow and easy, slow and easy still has massive health benefits and possibly lower injury potential than running hard
Walk-run intervals are also fine and good

if you just hate running do some other thing smile

AyeAmarok Wed 21-Dec-16 16:36:07

I run in both mornings and evenings, whichever suits better that day. I used to be rubbish during morning runs and avoid them, but a change in work patterns meant I did a few months of mornings only, and got over my morning lethargy/lack of determination.

I listen to podcasts or music when I run alone.

I motivate myself by reminding myself that I have never, ever, regretted going for a run. But I always regret not going.

Sirzy Wed 21-Dec-16 16:38:07

I find it harder in winter and often tend to only run with running club or friends otherwise I do it on the treadmill.

Much easier to motivate myself in spring and summer!

mudandmayhem01 Wed 21-Dec-16 16:38:35

If I am not working that day, put running kit on as you first get dressed. I feel an idiot if I wear running kit and don't run

motherinferior Wed 21-Dec-16 16:50:32

I get up at 6.40, put on my kit, brush my teeth and go.

lljkk Fri 23-Dec-16 17:08:16

I think maybe variety is the key. Find new ways, new people, new routes, etc. If I don't run at least 3x a week then it's really hard to get going; if I do run at least 3x/week, it's not that hard to get out there.

Figure17a Fri 23-Dec-16 17:26:39

I have various strategies. I love running, I know I love running but still, sometimes it can be difficult to make myself get out of the door.

-The best one by far is to arrange to meet people to run with. I'd never not turn up (for anything) after I'd agreed to be there.

-Enter races - you know you need to do the training to do yourself justice (or finish, depending on what you're aiming for) in the race

-Join a club, gives you people to run with, people to make arrangements with and set times each week earmarked for running

-Get involved at parkrun. You'll genuinely find you never want to miss that

-Don't allow any time to think about it. e.g. if I'm running first thing I lay out running clothes the night before, straight out of bed into the clothes, before even the bathroom! Then out of the door before I have time to check the weather etc. After work, get in, change and out again before sitting down.

KeyserSophie Wed 28-Dec-16 05:27:06

Without wanting to repeat what's been said, I think that most people find motivation to be a fickle friend, whereas habit is your homeboy grin.

To train consistently you have to schedule it specifically, rather than have vague notions of "i'll go for a run today" so that you dont waste time having tiresome internal arguments and just get our there and do it, whether you particularly want to or not. This is important because to have runs that are awesome, you need to battle through the runs that suck.

it's like work- unless you're a shameless skiver on your last warning, you could probably wake up any morning, call in sick and get away with it, but it doesnt occur to you to do that as going to work is just what you do.

I do a mixture of lone runs, running with friends, and a club track session. I prefer mornings, so if I need to do an evening run I'll try and find some company so that I have to show up.

Weirdly, I dont find races that motivating (totally personal) because 1. you can just DNS, 2. you can get into a cycle of denial and fear where you dont want to train because you dont want confirmation that you havent done enough training. 3. If you race a lot it can be hard to get into an effective training routine due to taper and recovery cycles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now