Talk

Advanced search

Running advice- too far too fast?

(7 Posts)
Tartle Tue 13-Dec-16 22:05:21

So I always thought I hated running (the legacy of too many miserable afternoons of cross country at school) but have been doing a lot of other exercise this year (5x per week- gym classes, X trainer, weights and some Hiit)

Last month I didn't have access to the gym so running was my only option and to my surprise after a week I discovered that I actually really enjoyed it and am no a bit hooked. I set my self the challenge of doing a 5k about two weeks in and that was fairly easy so I did a couple of 7ks and then yesterday did 10k which I was really pleased with. Trying to run three times a week with one long run a week.

I then decided that I needed to have a plan and started reading online and have read a lot about how you need to build up distances slowly and should not add more than 10% distance a week-oops! Obviously fucked that one up!

Now I'm not really sure where to start from. Should I dial it right back down and follow a c25k or b210k plan which doesn't seem that challenging or can I pick a point in the middle and go on from there? Ultimate goal i think is going to be a half marathon in October.

randomsabreuse Wed 14-Dec-16 15:08:22

If you're fit/light I can't see why it would have been an issue up to 5k - I'd guess classes have a decent amount of impact work. I started running at about 5k after a baby having spent 8 months walking everywhere carrying her up and down steps because parking in our town is crap. Then had a bit of time off with a sprained ankle (rutted path carrying 20kg rucksack, carelessness...) and popped back into c210k at about week 10 generally only managing 2 runs per week before a planned 10k mud run which was fine fitness wise.

I am still 15kg overweight (no will power) so am being careful not to overdo distances on roads - I try to do up hills and trails rather than roads for longer runs to reduce impact.

If you're free try parkrun on Saturdays as a good way of challenging yourself at the 5k distance - and there seem to be a fair few timed (and paid for) 10k runs around as well. I'm trying to work out my plans for this year - torn between a tough mudder or a half marathon as my main aim - but I do need immediate aims to keep going now I know I can do 10k.

yeOldeTrout Wed 14-Dec-16 19:11:19

I went straight to 5k on my first run/first weeks. Didn't know any better. Has worked fine for me. I don't know how many people really do set plans, just listen to your own body.

MotherFuckingChainsaw Wed 14-Dec-16 19:40:33

It's probably not a fuck up to go to 5k if you didn't hurt yourself.. the advice about only 10% increases is fairly broad and depends on how far you are running and yourbaseline fitness.

I started at 5 k (because there's a nice 5k loop near my house, I'm very rural so I don't get much choice of short loops it's 'out and back' for most runs.

But I found the 10% rule got more important as I got up towards the half marathon distances. If I pushed too hard or far I'd end up injured for a few weeks (it band, Achilles, knees etc etc) it took ages for me to learn my own limits.

It is so personal to the individual runner I AM an injury prone runner and I do NEED to stretch and warm up and down VERY thoroughly. and I have to keep the the 10% rule as an absolute rule.

You may well be different. You Might get away with huge increases each week, or you might not. Take it steady and learn to listen to your body.

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Wed 14-Dec-16 19:51:50

You've started from a good base of fitness and avoided injury, so no harm done smile

The shorter/ long run approach is good for continuing to make improvements and avoid repetition. I'm not great at following programmes, but find they give me a good rough direction.

My distance varies through the year. I seem to be in an annual cycle of less in the winter, and HM in the autumn. I can jump back to 10k after a gap fairly easily because my body is used to one regular hour long workouts in between times.

Tartle Sun 18-Dec-16 20:27:07

Thanks all that is really useful advice. smile

I tried Parkrun this weekend which was fun (but I definitely need to train going uphill-that was tough!) I think I am going to follow one of the bridge to 10k plans and look for a race to do in March/April time as a first goal.

DoosyFartlek Sat 24-Dec-16 23:34:06

I recon that your base fitness is good due to the gym, so you're finding the longer distances manageable as a result. Just do what you feel comfortable with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now