Talk

Advanced search

Running in the winter

(9 Posts)
Maxwellthecat Tue 06-Dec-16 09:20:53

Hey everyone,

I have been running three times a week since March and I love it. The only time I've missed a run is when I've been very poorly and I feel amazing. However this week it's been so icy I haven't been able to run, I am self employed in a physical job and I just CANNOT risk a twisted ankle or worse. What would people suggest??
Is treadmill running just as good for you? Any tips for running in icy conditions? Give it up and get fat over the winter?

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Tue 06-Dec-16 10:02:05

When it's icy, I tend to go off road as grit paths/ mud/ grass are less of a hazard than an icy pavement. Although mud can be slithery, it's easier to antcipate, and slower than realising you have no grip on a pavement.

Hs2Issue Tue 06-Dec-16 12:25:35

I've got ice grips (Yaktrax) which I fit to my running shoes saves me looking like Bambi.

AlwaysNeverOnTime Fri 06-Jan-17 10:04:38

I much prefer winter runs but also hate the icy paths. Agree with running on grass/mud as you have more grip.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 06-Jan-17 10:06:51

Yes as above, I tend to run on footpaths and grass.

OccasionalNachos Fri 06-Jan-17 10:08:41

I use yaktrax as well but find they're better on compacted snow & frost than glassy ice.

I am unusual in that I quite enjoy treadmill running too (up to about 10k - due to circumstance I ran 22k on a treadmill once and it was dreadful!!) it's just as good for you, helps you stay at a constant pace, just a bit boring.

DO NOT give up & get fat. I had two weeks off due to icy weather/family visiting/work deadlines & had to drag myself around parkrun last week after an xmas full of eating & drinking. It was awful & I feel flabby & horrid. I want my mojo back!

Nameforsaken Sun 08-Jan-17 15:18:08

I also find running offroad avoids the ice

Pinkponiesrock Sun 08-Jan-17 15:43:34

Go off road, have a look for a local running club as they will know all the best places to train with good lighting and a decent surface. Plus knowing a training session is on helps motivate you out on a dark night.

AuntieStella Sun 08-Jan-17 15:50:40

I really can't run on slippery.

So if you can't change the time of day you run to one when frost will have melted, then perhaps look for another form of exercise altogether that you can do at the same time as you would run, for about the same length of time.

Fitness Blender vids on YouTube have a lot of different workouts, various lengths and targets. Lots of MNers swear by (or at) the 30 Day Shred.

No need to get fat, nor invest in a treadmill or gym membership. Doing a different workout from time to time on the days when you really can't go out could improve your running anyhow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now