Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

HRT slowing me down?

(6 Posts)
IrianOfW Wed 30-Nov-16 09:56:00

Hi

I have been on HRT for quite a few years as I entered the menopause early. A few months back I realised I had run out of tablets and didn't get round to renewing my prescription for a while. At this point I was training quite hard for a half - my pace and stamina improved massively which I put down to increased and harder training. Running seemed more effortless than it had ever been in all the years I have been running. Got round to picking up my new prescription and within a week I was back to a much slower pace, stuggling with hills, and just hating my runs sad

Is this my imagination? Anyone have experience of anything like this?

Shiningexample Wed 30-Nov-16 23:38:44

blimey!! I dont know what to say about that Irian, I'm post meno but no HRT and cant say I noticed much difference in performance between pre and post transition in any case

I wonder if HRT has some effect on red blood cell count and thus the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood?

Higher androgen levels tend to correlate with higher red blood cell count and although the absolute level of androgens wouldnt have changed the ratio of estrogen to androgens (whilst off hrt) would give you a relatively higher androgen levels.

I'm just speculating.....can you ask your GP?

IrianOfW Thu 01-Dec-16 10:39:18

Interesting. Thanks shining.

From further googling around testosterone and HRT it sounds possible. As I had minimal side-effects when I was off the stuff for a few weeks I am wondering if it is time to dump it for good. GP is next port of call. Sadly my experience of GPs is that my running performance isn't going to a top priority for him... hmm but I have been told that I can't keep taking HRT forever anyway.

Shiningexample Thu 01-Dec-16 10:46:21

I just wish there was something I could do that would make running seem effortless🏃

I agree it might be a hard sell with the GP....good luck with whatever you decide

IrianOfW Thu 01-Dec-16 11:14:55

Well 'effortless', in this case, is a relative term wink I did say 'more effortless'! It felt like dragging myself up hills, rather than dragging myself and a sack of spuds too.

Wileycoyote Fri 16-Dec-16 00:28:45

I have the same experience on an anti anxiety drug, Wellbutrin. Makes me slower and feel like running is much harder. Effect is almost immediate. Feel like I'm flying when I come off it!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now