How much water do you drink after a run?

(11 Posts)
PollysPoppy Tue 15-Nov-16 16:13:23

I'm thinking I don't drink enough. Have a stinker of a headache now, several states hours after a 3.5k run - so not a long run by some standards grin! Think I probably drank around a litre, probably a bit less in the hour afterwards and now am too nauseous (don't think it's related) to drink more. So ... how much should I be aiming for post-run?

nbee84 Tue 15-Nov-16 20:55:09

That sounds like plenty of water. I suffer (suffered) with exercise induced headaches and thought it was linked to my hydration levels. They typically start about 2 hours or so after intense exercise and last for the rest of the day, sometimes disturbing my sleep. I eventually realised it was linked to my fitness levels - I started off just averagely fit and was doing some cardio to increase my fitness levels. I found that if my heart rate went consistently over 170bpm I would suffer later. I needed to reign it in and stop pushing myself too hard too soon. My cardio fitness is much better now and I can do a hiit class or spin class and really push myself now without getting a headache and my heart rate usually averages out at about 130bpm - it does go above 170 but not for long stretches.
Not sure if any of this is relevant to you as I don't know what your sual exercise or fitness is but maybe try running your 3.5k at a alower pace to see if it helps.

StillMaidOfStars Tue 15-Nov-16 22:49:17

I wouldn't need a litre of water after 3.5km! Are you sure you haven't gulped too much down?

PollysPoppy Tue 15-Nov-16 23:37:15

Thanks both. No, the litre is drunk over a couple of hours afterwards. I did start the C25K horrendously unfit - and I mean really, really unfit. Finished it a couple of months back but do a couple of 20/25 min runs a week to stop my fitness dropping back to where it was. According to my Fitbit I spend most of my run somewhere around 140bpm and hit a peak (150 today, 170 a few days ago) for a few minutes before dropping back. Maybe it's just coincidence.

MrsMook Tue 15-Nov-16 23:59:50

My need to refuel and rehydrate has decreased as I've got fitter (although I was BFing in the first year of running too). I'm more careful to gently fuel and hydrate before running too. That's a bit different if it's long run season for a HM when I take a drink with me, or warm humid weather.

Littlepumpkinpie Wed 16-Nov-16 16:39:30

Before undertaking any exercise make sure your hydrated beforehand then eat and drink plenty afterwards too. Sounds to me like you need more fluids. This happened to me once and I asked a personal trainer about it advice given was as I've stated.

lljkk Wed 16-Nov-16 18:14:16

I think ppl are individuals so what works for me probably won't be the same for you. I can't imagine needing a drink for less than 5 miles, even on a hot day. I notice people in the swimming pool who can't seem to manage more than 6 lengths without a drink, though.

PollysPoppy Wed 16-Nov-16 23:32:11

Reading your replies I think maybe it's my newness to running - I'm an old snail huffing and puffing along. I probably drink less after my 25 minutes now than I did during the summer. Drinking more beforehand is a good idea - thanks!

KeyserSophie Fri 18-Nov-16 09:49:04

Everyone is different. Your pee should be the colour of light straw. If it's darker, drink a bit more. If it's clear, drink a bit less.

ClaudiaApfelstrudel Fri 18-Nov-16 09:54:59

I don't tend to drink all that much water even on a 30k up to marathon. 500ml tends to be the right amount. I then drink another 300ml or so when I finish. I wouldn't even bother drinking anything for distances up to 7 or 8km as the annoyance of having to carry it around with me outweighs the relatively small advantages. I would recommend jelly cubes in colder weather. It makes a nice treat when you're out there and wind/rain/hail are right in your way.

However I remember when I started running and I did take on more fluids.

ClaudiaApfelstrudel Fri 18-Nov-16 09:55:58

I forgot to mention - in colder weather you need less fluids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now