Talk

Advanced search

Exercise whilst still breastfeeding

(4 Posts)
43percentburnt Tue 25-Oct-16 21:11:52

I am breastfeeding twins but want to start exercising daily. They are 8 months old and although they eat 3 meals a day they still feed a lot - including 4 times each between 10 pm and 8am. I am pretty hungry still, though not as ravenous as 3 months ago. What I don't want to happen is I exercise daily and eat far more!

I'd like to lose a stone and generally tone up. Previously I have done vast amounts of yoga, Pilates and DVDs at home including 30 day shred and ministry of sound. I did very little during my very difficult pregnancy but have now completed post natal physio, I do walk quite a bit.

Any tips or DVD suggestions. I'd prefer not to go to the gym.

fitzbilly Wed 26-Oct-16 15:03:48

What about running?

I got back into running the weeks after giving birth, and now, seven weeks on, it's going really well. Yes it makes your hungry with breastfeeding too, and I have to make sure I eat enough, but I have got a lot firmer and more toned already.

Good luck, sounds like you have your hands full already so week done for trying to exercise as well!

43percentburnt Wed 26-Oct-16 19:16:01

Thanks for your reply. I have considered running but had pretty bad spd and thought it may not help as I have never run before. I will look at c25k. Well done for running so soon after giving birth.

MrsMook Thu 27-Oct-16 23:08:52

I took up C25k when DS was 6 months. I'd realised that I didn't need to limp from the SPD anymore and that it had become a habit to drag my leg behind me when going up hill! (I started going to an oseopath when DS was 3m as the SPD wasn't shifting and I still couldn't move my hip enough to walk a few hundred meters home from the shops and was still having to take a much longer route on a bus to walk down the hill to my house!)

I was cautious about risking injury so took 6 months to do all the C25k runs, partly through repeating tough runs before moving on, and the practicalities of having a young baby, including weeks off when he had bronchiolitis.

It worked for me because I could fit it in between feeds (he was a hungry bottle refuser) and I could do it at whatever unorthodox time worked that day.

One year after starting, I'd done a half marathon which I'd never have dreamed of before. I cross train as well which has helped to avoid injury. Between the SPD and a history of grumpy, intolerant joints, that's quite a victory. My joints are now in better shape than they were when I was a teenager because all the muscles are much stronger!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now