Talk

Advanced search

Half marathon soon and injury looming

(4 Posts)
RandomMcRandomface Thu 20-Oct-16 00:43:01

Am interested in advice!

I am due to do a half in 3 and a bit weeks and have been training for about 7 - 8 weeks and making fairly good progress. The furthest I've run in my long runs is 14 km (which felt OK), as had intended for my next three weekends to be a 16, 18 and a taper, shorter run.

BUT over the past few days it's as if my body is falling apart, when running I can really feel the pinch in my knees, my back is sore and I have a persistent calf twinge. I was fine before that, doing lots of stretching etc.

I think I could still go out and do the full thing, but don't rate my chances of doing any running over the next week and a half at least so will never get to train at those longer distances. I am scared of getting a full blown injury as well.

WWYD? It's an event I've been looking forward to, but I don't want to injure myself.

lljkk Thu 20-Oct-16 02:55:33

is this the training regime where you only do about 12 miles in the week (in 3 different runs) but then a huge run on the weekends (like 8m+ in a single go? I don't know how that works, it would give me injuries & exhaustion, too.

Could U ease up & take longer to train for a later 1/2M event?

RandomMcRandomface Thu 20-Oct-16 07:17:19

It is - I've been doing one long run and two shorter ones, although the shorter ones have been getting longer. It's a hard decision!

lljkk Thu 20-Oct-16 10:01:26

good luck.
If it was me, I would design a different training regime, that involved at least 4 runs/week probably near 35 miles/week 10 days before the actual event. I couldn't do 2 x short + 1 long run... my body can't do that.

Are you practising how to bring energy gels or drinks on the long run?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now