Talk

Advanced search

Gym newbies

(18 Posts)
enolagayits0815 Wed 19-Oct-16 18:32:18

So, I've joined the gym, I went for my induction yesterday afternoon and have a mixed programme of cardio and weights which I'm keen to stick to. Are there any other new gym members out there who'd like to motivate and encourage each other?

stealtheatingtunnocks Wed 19-Oct-16 18:38:04

Me! I'm just back from my third visit.

I think I like it. But, I'm self conscious and scared of the machines. And, I am the only one there with a sweat on.

I am aiming to go x3/week for 3 weeks. So far, it's been x2/week for 2 weeks, we've had some family illness. Typical.

I need to get my blood pressure down, drop a bit 4 stones of weight and manage my stress levels. So, gym it is.

Trainer was lovely when she did my fitness test. I'm stronger and fitter than I realised, which was encouraging.

Wouldn't say I'm a fan, yet...

What are you aiming to get from the gym?

PikachuSayBoo Wed 19-Oct-16 18:42:04

Ive been going since the end of August. 4x a week.

I'm lb heavier than when I started but according to the fancy scales I've lost 7lbs of fat and put on 8lbs of muscle. Can't say Ive noticed my clothes are any looser.

I do nearly two hours when I'm there. About 30-40 mins of cardio and then my weights programme. Ive started adding other stuff in like lunges, squats, sit ups, step ups.

Ive got a programme review tomorrow with a PT. I want to get into the free weights part but am a bit intimidated. I sneaked in the other day when it was quiet and did a few deadlifts with a 15kg barbell and then legged it!

I am enjoying it.

ByeByeLilSebastian Wed 19-Oct-16 18:46:19

Can I join? Been going a couple of weeks now, just once or twice a week. Trying to diet alongside it but I'm struggling and keep caving on wine and cars sad

What's your programme like? I didn't get one and am too shy to ask blush
I've been doing a 5 minute fast paced walk, 15-20 of running and then different weights and weight machines for 40 minutes.

enolagayits0815 Wed 19-Oct-16 20:15:55

Anybody can join smile I want to get fitter and thinner. I'm using the bikes, rowing machine and cross trainer.

PikachuSayBoo Wed 19-Oct-16 20:39:50

I do 15 mins on a weird curved treadmill. 15 mins on a lateral trainer.
Then weights.

Then I go and do extra stuff I fancy doing. I get inspiration off Instagram. Search for stuff like gym videos. So cable glute kickbacks are something Ive added in and hip thrusts.

Then I do a bit of floor core work and stretches.

stealtheatingtunnocks Thu 20-Oct-16 11:05:53

My programme's simple, because I am unable to retain info.

I walk there (usually) - it's 3000 steps.

12 mins on the weird curved treadmill thing - 2 mins at level 4 and then 1min level 5, one min level 10 for 10 mins, then a 2 min cool down on level 4. By then I am dripping sweat over everything, and the machine tells me my heart rate is 175ish, so, clearly, that's doing something.

Then I do 30 swings with the kettle bell, kind of a replacement squat (knackered ankle, not enough movement), so, 10kg kettle bell, hanging between knees, straight arms, stand up fast, squeeze butt and engage core, swing bell right up over my head and back down. It's quite fast.

Then, 10 military press with 5kg each arm

30 swings

10 military press

30 swings

10 military press

Then, fly, triceps on the resistance machine, 10 reps each x3.

Then, leg press, I like this one because I am quite strong - I do 30 x70kg, 30 x80kg, 30x70kg. Wobbly legs.

Then attempt press ups (I have never been able to do one, so am on the girly from knees press up), do about 25.

Then plank, do 30sec at a time because my core is shattered.

Then lots and lots of stretching and pelvic floor - I go into a quiet corridor on my own for peace and quiet, and, no audience or mirrors

Then lie down for a five minute of trying to think nothing and relax.

Then a really long shower.

Takes about 40 minutes in the gym and about 20 mins in the corridor.

I'm for a gym review in a week and a half. See what's changed.

I think it is definitely helping with stress, we've got a heap of family illness and that all falls on my shoulders. And, I AM fitter than I realised, which I am enjoying. I quite like being able to lift weights that are a good weight, it makes me feel good. I REALLY want to be abe to do a press up. I can plank for 1.45, so, it's not my core, just my shoulders.

What benefits are you noticing so far?

ByeByeLilSebastian Thu 20-Oct-16 13:18:08

I'm surprised how much better I feel for going too stealtheatingtunnocks, I thought I would hate it!
That sounds like a good routine you've got going. I wonder how they'll mix it up next week.

I'm going again with DH tonight, he is really good for pushing me. He gets me to do that one where you lay on your back on a bench and lift your legs, it really works your core.
I've noticed I have more energy now and don't feel quite as sluggish which is nice. It's helping me sleep too as I'm physically knackered. I just need to get stuck in to my diet now...

enolagayits0815 Thu 20-Oct-16 20:54:02

I've managed to stop taking my anti depressants which is a big thing as it's been three years. I've dropped a clothes size as well.

Helspopje Thu 20-Oct-16 20:58:09

I do v little on the machines or cardio stuff. Mainly free weights

Step ups
Glute bridges with weight
Deadlift
Romanian deadlift
Front squat
Leg press
Bit of shoulder/back stuff - rows, lat pull down, assisted pull up, cable work
Core work - hanging leg raises, some trx suspended stuff

PikachuSayBoo Fri 21-Oct-16 06:40:32

My PT cancelled on me yesterday, said he was going home sick. Went to the gym for a workout anyway and he was there!!! Just mooching round the gym flirting with various women. Not happy.

Had a good workout though. Introduced weighed hip thrusts into my routine after reading about how good they are for glutes.

stealtheatingtunnocks Fri 21-Oct-16 12:27:45

I sank a bottle of wine last night, ate a packet of crisps and a small mountain of chocolate. Now got a hangover, requiring more chocolate.

Bugger.

Am trying to persuade myself that it's absolutely fine to have a bust out every now and then, that I haven't ruined everything and that I may as well stop trying and just gorge myself to death.

I'll go to the gym tonight. Am most annoyed with myself enjoyed it at the time

stealtheatingtunnocks Thu 27-Oct-16 16:54:42

How's everyone doing?

20 mins on that weird not-a-stepper-not-a-treadmill thing for me today. So, that's up 8 mins since I started.

And, I nearly saw a bicep today.

Yay!

PikachuSayBoo Thu 27-Oct-16 17:38:49

Haven't been able to go to the gym so far this week with it being half term but will be back on Sat.

Did two really long sessions last weekend. Definitely feeling more toned.

stealtheatingtunnocks Fri 28-Oct-16 08:13:55

are you enjoying it?

PikachuSayBoo Fri 28-Oct-16 16:43:16

Yep, still enjoying it. Have really missed it this week.

Xmasfairy86 Sat 29-Oct-16 09:53:46

I need to get back to the gym. I really enjoy it. But finding the time/motivation is my issue.

I enjoy weights. Want to do more with them. Need to work out a plan or else I go and just faff with what I know very little and leave. It's almost like the sense of actually being in the gym is enough for me even when I've done nothing!!

Need a PT I think. Unless anyone can point me in the direction of a decent weights workout. I spend so long trawling the net for one that I never achieve anything!!!

stealtheatingtunnocks Sun 30-Oct-16 21:13:18

Anything is better than nothing, mind.

My 12 year old girl and I went for a "run" tonight. Just half an hour - did 4k!

Quite chuffed. Nice to spend the time with her, too. she's much faster than me, obviously

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now